Two Under 2

Those w/ a 2 bedroom house and 2U2

Just wondering what you do? 
I'm like 3 seconds pg w/ #2 but have already started wondering what we'll do.  They will be exactly 2 years apart.  We have a 2 bedroom TH w/ a lot of space but only 2 bedrooms.  We have a loft we could utilize but it's pretty open.  We know our neighbors did that for a little while, putting the crib there.  Same room?  Baby in w/ us for a while?  H says we need to move but the market blows and the 25% equity we had 3 years ago is all but gone b/c of how far prices have dropped.  I'm not willing to lose all that $$ but do know we'd make it up on the buying end. 

What have you ladies done?

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
missing my baby everyday
BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d

Re: Those w/ a 2 bedroom house and 2U2

• My kids are 14 months apart and started sharing a room when #2 was about 6months old. For the first two night,s #1 had trouble falling asleep because she wanted to talk to #2, but after that it was fine. I'd just have them share a room if I were you. You could keep the baby in your room for the frist few weeks or even a few months if you wanted easier access for feedings, etc. I don't think you need to jump to moving, especially if you've lost all the equity in your house.

• We technically have 3 bedrooms but the third bedroom is downstairs and we don't want to have either child on a separate floor as us, so we're going to try to make due with the 2 upstairs bedrooms.  Our plan is to have DC#2 sleep in a p-n-p in our room for the first 3 months or so and then move him/her into our son's room.  They'll be 19 months apart.  We know we'll have to be flexible and possibly reconsider the plan, but that's what we're hoping to do.  I was very hesitant to even consider having them share a room at first because DS took forever to sttn, but I got a lot of positive feedback from people whose kids share rooms so I figure it's worth a try.  Maybe you could try something similar, and depending on how it goes either keep #2 in your room longer if you don't think they're ready to share, or move #2 to your loft if you all need your own space.  Also, I've heard sound machines are great when room sharing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a 3BR house, but like a PP there's only 2BR on the main floor. My kids have been sharing a room for nearly a year now. Works fine.

There's a million different ways to make it work. You can put them together right away, and most likely the older one will adjust within a few weeks. You can do white noise machines in the room. You can have the baby room share with you until he/she is STTN, then move him to big sis's room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We found out we were pregnant with baby #2 right as we were moving into a 2 bedroom trailer. Our bedroom isn't big enough to have either room in with us so our only option is to have them share a room. It's going to be extremely crowded and they're not really going to have any play space in their room but we don't mind having their toys in the living room. I think if you're determined to make it work, it'll be fine!
  • How well does it work out when you have a 15 month old and a newborn sharing the same room?
  • We're in a 2BR condo and expecting #3. Honestly, it's not that bad, You just make it work :)

Our situation was a bit different this past year or so. DH worked nights since we were married so it's never been a HUGE issue to have a baby in our room since he doesn't sleep at the same time as me or the kids. He also was on military orders to do training out of state for 4 months earlier this year and we lived with my parents during that time (also in another state) so our living situation was kind of funky. DD2 slept in a PNP next to my bed until she was 11.5 months old. We wanted to wait until she was solidly STTN to move her in with DD1 (and she was around 9 months when that happened but then DD1 started cutting a bunch of her eye teeth and had a rough time sleeping for awhile and went through a bit of a regression sleeping of her own). Transitioning them in a room together was super easy though. They love sharing now and it's gone great. DH and I had no problems with having DD2 in our room either but she was a pretty good sleeper after 9 months.

DD3 will be in our room for awhile too. No idea when we'll move her. Ideally after DD2 is in a big girl bed, we'll probably just get bunk beds and stick all 3 of them in there together. I'm a big "just do it and make it work" person so I don't really worry too much about stuff like this and it's ALWAYS worked out great for us. We're hoping to move soon but reality is the market isn't great, prices have dropped and financially it wouldn't be a smart move to sell right now. #3 was a BIG surprise for us so we'll just make it work here and hopefully get a bigger place soon!

DC1 (2.5) | DC2 (1) | #3 due 6.1.2012
  • We have been keeping DD in our room in a bassinet...has worked out great so far, especially for feedings. We just put her crib in with DS so they can both get used to it slowly. She isnt quite STTN yet so when she's only waking up once we will begin to put her in there. I'm nervous but I know they'll get used to each other. Glad I got on here, was just feeling overwhelmed about the whole situation, good to hear others are in the same boat and it works!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • My 2 are 15 months apart and have been sharing a room for over a year.  We moved DD out of our room when she was 6 months and STTN.  They have a sound machine in the room, but honestly when either of them wakes up at night, they rarely wake the other.  They talk to each other when falling asleep and entertain each other when they wake up in the morning.  

We do keep a pnp in our room, so if someone wakes up overnight and won't go back to sleep, they come in our room and sleep in the pnp.  DD also takes her nap in there while DS is in his crib in their room.  

We moved when DD was 1 year and they each could have their own room now, but we kept them together.  They love sharing a room and would miss each other!  However, when we move DS to his big boy bed (soon) I think we will move DD out.  I don't want DS roaming around the room bothering poor DD!

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We live in a 2 bedroom.  DS1 and 2 are 14 months apart and share a room.  DS2 slept in my room next to my bed in a sleep n play for the first few months but we didn't have any issues when they started sharing the room. 
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• My two are 20 months apart. DS will be in our room for 6 months or so and then they will share!
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• The ultimate plan is to have our girls share a room. We won't move DD2 in with DD1 until she starts STTN though. Right now, she's sleeping in the PNP bassinet in our room.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"