Maryland Babies
Options

I'm sick and I need to whine

I have been laying in bed coughing for 2 1/2 hours straight.  My head hurts, my chest hurts, my lungs burn, even my face muscles are sore.  In between coughing fits I just wheeze and pant.  I am seriously close to tears.

I went to the dr this morning.  They said my lungs are clear so the problem must be with my sinuses.  I have had enough sinus problems in the past to know that this feels different. 

The only suggestion they gave me was plain robotussin (an expectorant to lossen mucus), saline nose spray and hot showers.  Well that just isn't cutting it.  I can't stop coughing long enough to breathe.  I finally broke down and took some DayQuil that I just dug out of the back of the medicine cabinet.  It was the only thing in the house I could find that has a couigh suppressant in it. 

I feel bad for taking it.  I know that I am not suppossed to take cold medicine while pregnant, but I am desperate.  If this doesn't do the trick I think I may have to end up going to the ER for some type of breathing treatment.

To make matters even wose, the only other person who does what I do at work is still out of the office because she has a ton of use-or-lose leave.  So, despite being sick I have been dragging myself into work every day.  We have a major announcement for tomorrow, so I'd have to be on death's door to call out.

I am hoping that the cold meds do the trick.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: I'm sick and I need to whine

• Options
    Oh Maria I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you got some sleep last night. It sucks being sick while your pregnant.

• Options
    Oh man, like pp said, is there any way you can leave after the annoucement today? Hopefully you will be able to get lots of rest this weekend. Hoping you feel better soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sucks! I also vote for leave early. I hope you feel better.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

The cold medicine helped with the coughing, but it amped me up.  I didn't fall asleep until 4 am and DD woke up at 4:45.  I diodn't have it in me to get up with her.  I let her whine in her crib until she fell back asleep.  But, of course I didn't go back to sleep.  Drug myself got out of bed at 6 am.

Disastourous commute took 2 hours and 45 minutes.  83 was shut down and I live right on the road where they were detouring ALL of the traffic.  It took me 2 hours to go 10 miles.  I had to stop 2 times to pee and once to get gas. 

I swear I better get an exceptional raiting on my PMAP this year, because NO ONE else in my office would have bothered to show up today if they had been in my position.

• Options
    HUGS!!!  Go get some honey and mix it in with hot tea.  It will calm your coughing. I lived on this back in Oct because of my horrible cold.  You can also take Mucinex DM.  This is stronger than Robitussin.   Robitussin will coat your throat but the Mucinex will last longer.  I also swear by the Neti pot.
    IUI#1 = 09/10 - Canceled - Dx w/POF
    DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry - that ALL blows.  And, yes, I totally would have stayed hom too!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear this...I have been experiencing the same thing, but had a tiny bit of a fever the other night.

I went to the doctor and she said that my lungs were clear as well, but because of the slight fever and the baby she wanted me to do a cycle of antibiotics. The cough is still miserable, but I think it's slowly getting better. I've had luck with vicks vapor rub, Robitussin Peak Cold Multi-Symptom Cold (night-time but I take during the day) and Robitussin Cough + Chest Congestion DM. I've been switching back and forth between the two. It also helped to prop myself up to sleep at night.

I hope you are able to find relief and start to feel better ASAP.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for all the nice words of encouragement and for the suggestions! 

I am going to hit the pharmacy on the way home.  My Dr is a DO, so she is very reluctant to medicate, but I have been stuggling with this for too long.  I need some type of relief from the cough so I can sleep, or I'll never get better!

• Options

I'd get a second opinion or go to urgent care.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have my next OB appointment on Monday.  If OTC cough medicine and rest over the weekend doesn't significantly improve how I feel I'll get my OB to write me a script. 
  • Options
    Ugh, that sucks. Hope you're feeling better soon. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You totally have my sympathy! It sucks to be pg and sick. :( All four of us were sick with bad respitory infections around Christmas, nad DH was the only one of us who could take medicine. I hope you're feeling better now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"