July 2012 Moms
Options

Would you go skiing/snowboarding right now?

A friend of ours invited me and DH to go snowboarding this weekend.  We're not going to go because we'd have to go away for the whole weekend, and weekends are the time we get to spend with DD.

But I got to thinking...would it be dangerous to go skiing or snowboarding while in early pregnancy?  We're not talking double black diamonds, we're talking gentle rolling hills that people in Minnesota call mountains.  I definitely wouldn't go once my belly started getting big since it might throw off my balance.  But I can't decide if it should be automatically off limits for pregnant women, or if it depends on your skill level and personal comfort with the idea.  Is it weird that our friend knows we're expecting and still asked us to go?

Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you go skiing/snowboarding right now?

• Options
    I would definitely not go skiing or snowboarding during any stage of pregnancy.  My guess is that my OB would say no too.
  • Options
    Skiing/snowboarding were in my "do not do" list from the doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't go either, but one of my friends is currently in Colorado skiing.  She's much braver than me.
    Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I have plans to ski throughout my pregnancy. The season is right through my 2nd tri, so the timing is good. I wouldn't ski once balance issues became a problem, or when generally I was too big for it to feel comfortable.

I personally think it has to be an individual evaluation of risk. For me, I am willing to accept what I believe to be the minimal risk that attends a highly experienced skier such as myself, on easy terrain, during off peak times, at ski mountains I've cruised since I was 5. The risk of getting into a serious car accident on the way there is higher. 

But that has to be a personal decision and evaluation of your abilities. Nobody can make that judgment for you.

ETA: I will say that I plan on taking it much easier. Which I'm sure my H will appreciate because I usually SMOKE him on the slopes Wink

• Options
    My doctor said it was fine, just listen to my body...but I've been skiing since I was 3years old.  We have only gone skiing one weekend so far, but we have several more trips planned. Honestly, when I went I felt very winded and had to stop several times on each trail. I also stayed on trails that I am familiar with and navigated much slower than pre-pregnancy.  As long as your doctor gives you the "Okay" and you are an experienced skiier, I say do it!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    My OB told me no four wheeler riding, (BIG DEAL FOR ME) I would think that wouls be in the same category with skiiing/snowboarding....so I think...not a good idea
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I went snowboarding up until my 4th month of pregnancy with my first, and I plan on snowboarding this entire season too (if we ever get any real snow! I'm in Utah) Anyway, my midwife OK'd this and said that as long as I'm comfortable and that I'm not a beginner, that I should be fine =)
    Proud mama to two boys Quentin born 9/11/08 & Duncan born 7/25/2012
  • Options
    I would probably not - but I would ask your OB.
  • Options
    I think it depend on your experience level. If you don?t have much experience and would fall alot, I wouldn?t go, but if you feel comfortable, I would. I plan on winter hiking and snowshoeing high peaks in the Catskills this winter, but DH will carry my pack. Rollerblading the spring, I have decided on that one yet., but thinking that I don?t want the bump to break any falls!
  • Options

I would not. Even if you are a great skier, not everyone on the hill has the same skills.  

I am confident in my own skiing, but last year some novice went down the wrong trail and crashed into my from behind. I didn't notice him until it was too late - he was on the back of my skis. 

I am ecstatic to be pregnant after experiencing a loss. It stinks that I bought a season pass at a special rate that doesn't have a "in case of pregnancy" or other health issue thing... [signing off from Colorado]

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm on ski patrol and have been doing that since I was 16. I'm a really good skier and I am usually on the hill 2-3 days a week. I talked to my doctor before my BFP and asked what he thought about me skiing. He said that I shouldn't ski at all during pregnancy. I'd avoid it if I was you.
    CafeMom Tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I used to snowboard a lot when I lived near the mountains. I haven't been in 4 years (except on free bunny hills just for fun) so I wouldn't risk it because I have probably lost a lot of my skill. I so wish I could, though! I miss it so much!!

Tara
    "Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost." Peter 2:1:20
    image image image
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

Definitely talk to your OB if you're unsure. I wouldn't, but I live in Texas and this is not an issue for me Smile. I've never been before, anyway.

As for your friend, I'm sure s/he was just being nice and clearly doesn't think it's a bad idea for pg ladies to ski, or at least, the thought didn't cross his or her mind. I think it's nice and considerate and shows that they don't want to automatically exclude you just because you're pregnant. The friend is letting you make the decision for yourself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Oops. Posted from my old account. Sorry for the dd. 

I 100% agree with missusbee. If you think you're a qualified and competent skier/boarder, you're probably going to be fine. But only you can assess your own skill level.

My OB said it was fine (like others, I'm an advanced skier), but I'm opting out this year. I'd get pretty bored skiing the easy/moderate trails and we only ski out west, so it would be a waste of money. Plus, I've seen more accidents or out of control skiers on the greens/blues (more beginners/kids) than those skiing double blacks/moguls/back country, which makes me nervous. But that's just my experience.

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty psyched the snow has been total crap so far this winter. I'd be jealous otherwise. Skiing is my favorite thing everrrrrrr. My husband thinks this pregnancy is his time to catch me (skill level wise). Psssh. I'm not an elephant...

• Options

imageuppereastgal:
    I hate to say it, but I'm pretty psyched the snow has been total crap so far this winter. I'd be jealous otherwise. Skiing is my favorite thing everrrrrrr. My husband thinks this pregnancy is his time to catch me (skill level wise). Psssh. I'm not an elephant...

If I wasn't convinced before, I'm all the more certain now of my girlcrush on you.

• Options
    At a winter cme event (medical education) the presenter said he tells his pregnant patients that they can do any winter sport they did before pregnancy...they just aren't allowed to fall.  Well, I even fall down doing cross country skiing so this winter we're sticking to snow shoeing.  Fine by me since we're both excited to explore the various trails.  Actually going to the same winter cme event next weekend so I'm excited!  I might have to use the Bella band with my ski pants though those are a little snug.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Colorado Gal here-- It's on the-- only go if you are an expert and go on OFF days-- like non-busy days at the slopes--- list from my doctor. 

The issue is not really if you are a good skier/boarder-- it's a OTHER people being STUPID and can run into you problem. :-)  

Due date July 22, 2012!! WAHOO!!! I've been married since Sept 18, 2010 and love married life! BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemissusbee:

imageuppereastgal:

If I wasn't convinced before, I'm all the more certain now of my girlcrush on you.

Well hello there Janice Ian... ahahaha.

The feeling is mutual. The sarcasm strong in you galpal. It makes me really miss Boston. They've got that shizz down to a science. In NYC it's amateur hour. 

Talk Boston to me and we've got ourselves an online affair. I guess I can cancel my Ashley Madison membership now... 

• Options
    I have been having the strongest urge to ice skate, but I'm a clumsy person anyway and my doc said no activities which require balance -- ice skating, skiing, etc.  PP -- I totally agree.  So happy the snow hasn't shown up.  It makes it a lot easier to not hit the slopes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageKS070508:
    Skiing/snowboarding were in my "do not do" list from the doctor.

This

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"