April 2012 Moms

Semi-Controversial Topic --- Lets hear your opinions

Pit Bulls.

I just saw this story posted on facebook about Dolly.  Dolly was a pit bull who was adopted out of a Florida Shelter.  A little less than a year later she was returned to the shelter with cuts, puncture wounds, teeth knocked out, and lacerations all over her body.  They thought they would have to euthanize her.  The owners said that she was instigating fights with other dogs in the area.  The shelter workers didn't belive them because they said she was one of the most gentle dogs they had ever had at the shelter.  They nursed her back to health and one of the shelter worker adopted her. 

Someone I know on Facebook (who is expecting in a couple of months) stated that she and her husband plan on adopting a pit bull from a shelter - even though they have a new baby on the way.

What are your thoughts on pit bulls?  Misunderstood Breed? or Horible Breed that should not be trusted around babies/kids?

Ready...Set...Go.

BFP #1 - 04/11/2011 - EDD: 12/22/2011 -Natural MC 5/18/2011 @ 8w6d BFP

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BFP #3 - 08/02/2014 - EDD: 04/09/2015 ---Prayers for a take home baby

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Semi-Controversial Topic --- Lets hear your opinions

• While I personally am not a fan of the breed, I do believe they are misunderstood and if properly trained they can be gentle.  

I should also add that any breed, despite it's reputation, can be aggressive toward children/people if not trained correctly.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only read the first two sentences of this.

There are no bad dogs/breeds, but bad owners. I firmly believe that any dog/breed is capable of being bad if they are raised/trained to be.

I find this post extremely ignorant TBH.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Punish the owner, not the breed.

I truly believe that any dog can be aggressive if that is the environment it's raised in. My mom adopted a poodle from a shelter that attacked us. A freakin' poodle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think pit bulls can be mean, but so can any dog. My brother has a pit bull and the only the scary about her is her tail! She let's Hazel climb all over her, but my sister's yorkie won't let Hazel near her. My aunt and uncle raised pit bulls and none of them were ever mean. I think it is all in how the dog is raised

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  •  

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagemrsadamc 05:

While I personally am not a fan of the breed, I do believe they are misunderstood and if properly trained they can be gentle.  

I should also add that any breed, despite it's reputation, can be aggressive toward children/people if not trained correctly.  

I agree with this. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• I think it's like any dog. They can have good personalities or bad personalities. They can be taught good habits or bad habits.

My friend had a golden retriever, to my knowlege a normally friendly dog......not hers. He was mean. They had to put him outside when company came over.

• The thing I'm most concerned about is the fact the couple is adopting a dog right before the baby's born.  Dogs are a lot of hard work--we've had ours for over a year and I couldn't imagine dealing with the first few months if I were pregnant.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• My parents have a pitbull/rottweiler who is the sweetest dog and biggest baby.  I would take her over my SIL's chihuahua/boston terrier around my child anyday.

I definitely think there are breeds that have certain personality traits, but the owners are the key to a mean dog.

And FWIW, I do NOT think this is an ignorant post at all.  I think it's ignorant to call a post ignorant when you didn't read the whole thing.  FAIL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH had a pitbull that he raised since 6 weeks old. Then we started fostering pitbulls from a high kill shelter last year. I am a firm believer that it is a misunderstood breed.

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • imageKFCupcake:

My parents have a pitbull/rottweiler who is the sweetest dog and biggest baby.  I would take her over my SIL's chihuahua/boston terrier around my child anyday.

I definitely think there are breeds that have certain personality traits, but the owners are the key to a mean dog.

And FWIW, I do NOT think this is an ignorant post at all.  I think it's ignorant to call a post ignorant when you didn't read the whole thing.  FAIL.

Completely disagree. I think the mindset of thinking there is a "bad breed" is ignorant. Plain and simple. To even ask the question implies that the thought is in your mind.

FWIW, I did go back and read the whole thing.

• My dad has a pitt and she's the sweetest thing ever... The only thing I'd be worried about is that they don't know this dog, they don't know it's past history, how it was raised... And if it's ever been around children. And if the dog is still young, they are a ball of energy... Can they really handle an energetic puppy/dog and a new baby.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

imageKFCupcake:

My parents have a pitbull/rottweiler who is the sweetest dog and biggest baby.  I would take her over my SIL's chihuahua/boston terrier around my child anyday.

Completely disagree. I think the mindset of thinking there is a "bad breed" is ignorant. Plain and simple. To even ask the question implies that the thought is in your mind.

I would disagree. I think it's like any controversial topic. Like breastfeeding. Someone can post a story about BFing and ask others opinions, but that doesn't mean the OP has a certain thought about it either way. She is just asking what others think because the story made her think about it.

ETA: Because she knows it is a controversial topic, she is wondering what people here think.

• Pitbulls score better than 121 other breeds in temperament and are considered by educated people to be a gentle breed.  They have had some bad breaks lately but in the right home they are wonderful dogs.  I hate the reputation that they have .

• imageImThisBabysMom:
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

imageKFCupcake:

I would disagree. I think it's like any controversial topic. Like breastfeeding. Someone can post a story about BFing and ask others opinions, but that doesn't mean the OP has a certain thought about it either way. She is just asking what others think because the story made her think about it.

I guess it's because I don't create posts for random thoughts that pop in to my head that this doesn't make sense to me.

• Not a fan of many pit bull owners.  And, IMHO, I could not be a good pit bull owner (or owner of quite a few other breeds) with children in my house.  I know I'm not willing to do what I need to in order to keep everyone safe.  But, I really blame the owners, not the dogs. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I don't think they are inherently any more dangerous than other breeds. There probably are a disproportionate number of dangerous ones out there, b/c a lot of shittastic owners choose pitbulls and either neglect them or train them to fight/attack.Which is sad.

No dog should be left alone around a baby. Except for mine, b/c he's small and has no teeth. lol!

• It is the owner, not the breed. We fostered an extremely fear aggressive and violent dog a few years ago...could not be around children at all (after our placement she actually went to a dog rehab place where she attacked much larger dogs and the trainers...the rehab place eventually put her down due to her aggression issues -she was a Bassett hound/jack russel mix who had been abused. An extremely sweet looking, small dog. It is heart breaking what circumstances can do to a dog.

Also ALL dogs need supervision around children. Little kids just don't inherently understand how to behave around dogs, and even a traditionally sweet/mild tempered dog can attack in certain circumstances. Part of being a responsible dog owner is making sure that you have a monitored environment that is safe for the dog and humans in the house.
  • I own a pit mix, she is the biggest baby & want-to-be lap dog there is. 

That being said I do agree with pp's it's not the breed, it is how they are raised. In saying that I would be wary of adopting a pit (or any other dog) from a shelter right before a new baby comes. Because of how some are raised you need to know a lot about their history and should be careful around children and other dogs.

My brother adopted a pit mix and ended up having to get rid of him. He was such a sweet dog to adults but couldn't be around other dogs or children. As well as when he heard the door bell ring or even overhearing the word "kill" it would go ballistic. 

He unfortunately didn't know the history of that particular dog and it was obvious from having the dog for a few months he had a fighting background.  

• Agree with PPs - its a misunderstood breed, and like any dog, they require discipline and training from their owners.  From my personal experiences, I've found that pitts are fiercely loyal to their owners & family - so I wouldnt worry about the family/baby much, but how the dog will behave towards strangers/visitors if it hasn't been properly trained.
  • My sister has a pitbull she adopted from a shelter, and she is possibly the sweetest dog I've ever met. My younger nephew used to wrestle with her and stuff and she never so much as growled at him. My other sister's cocker spaniel was more violent than this pit.

Like PP said, there aren't bad dogs, just bad owners. It's a shame that pits get such a bad rap; they are muscular/strong dogs so there is the potential for them to do harm if they are trained to, but as far as I know it's not inherent in their personalities. Shelters will typically run a bunch of behavioral tests to see how aggressive a dog is so if you go adopt you will have an idea of what you're getting.

imageKFCupcake:

Since FunkyMonkey apparently has the ability to read my mind....I guess I should include my opinion on the topic....Let's see if she is correct....

I think that there are Pit Bulls that have horrible traits and that are mean and should be put down --- with saying that...I also must say that I think there are Weiner Dogs (I've been attacked by one of these bastards), Chihuahuas, Rottweilers, Labs, Golden Retreivers, etc that have the same horrible traits.  I've seen a Golden Retriever literally attempt to go at the throat of another dog --clearly that shows that the breed of the dog does not predetermine whether or not the dog is going to be vicious

As far as the girl I know adopting a shelter Pit 3 months before the birth of their newborn -- I think that is an irresponsible decision.  It is wonderful if they want to adopt a shelter pit or any other shelter dog -- but I do not think that this is the best time in their lives to do this - but if that is what they want to do -- more power to them.

So --- What's the Verdict???

Funkymonkey --- Looks like your'e not a mind reader after all-- sorry!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageSclines2595:

imageKFCupcake:

Since FunkyMonkey apparently has the ability to read my mind....I guess I should include my opinion on the topic....Let's see if she is correct....

I think that there are Pit Bulls that have horrible traits and that are mean and should be put down --- with saying that...I also must say that I think there are Weiner Dogs (I've been attacked by one of these bastards), Chihuahuas, Rottweilers, Labs, Golden Retreivers, etc that have the same horrible traits.  I've seen a Golden Retriever literally attempt to go at the throat of another dog --clearly that shows that the breed of the dog does not predetermine whether or not the dog is going to be vicious

As far as the girl I know adopting a shelter Pit 3 months before the birth of their newborn -- I think that is an irresponsible decision.  It is wonderful if they want to adopt a shelter pit or any other shelter dog -- but I do not think that this is the best time in their lives to do this - but if that is what they want to do -- more power to them.

Oh snap! You got me.

I still stand by what I said. For you to say they're adopting a pit bull "even though" they're expecting a baby implies that this should be something there would be an opinion about. What if they were adopting a chihuahua? Would you have created a post about it? Probably not.

ETA: And if you did feel the need to create a post about your FB friend adopting a chihuahua while expecting a baby, it would have focused on the topic of adopting an animal while also pregnant... not the danger of the breed. 

• Pitbulls used to be called the "nursery dog" because of their gentle temperament with children.  I love pitts and would adopt one in a second if I lived somewhere with enough space for a big dog.  Bad owners -> bad dogs.  
    Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
    Big Boy: Born 05/2012
  • I read the OP as being wary of pit bulls too.
    imageSclines2595:

imageKFCupcake:

Oh snap! You got me.

I still stand by what I said. For you to say they're adopting a pit bull "even though" they're expecting a baby implies that this should be something there would be an opinion about. What if they were adopting a chihuahua? Would you have created a post about it? Probably not.

ETA: And if you did feel the need to create a post about your FB friend adopting a chihuahua while expecting a baby, it would have focused on the topic of adopting an animal while also pregnant... not the danger of the breed. 

This makes sense to me. I did not read it that way or look at it that way. But your logic does work on me this time!!

• I own a pitbull and she is the kindest, sweetest most friendly dog. I have never had a problem with her biting or trying to attack anyone. With that said, I don't know how she would have been if someone else had trained her or raised her.

Just like children, I believe dogs are a product of their environment and without the proper care and discipline they will act out without the understanding of "knowing better".

For adopting a dog before having a baby, I wouldn't just because of the dogs former reputation. I don't know how I would feel having it around my child pitbull or not. You never know how the dog feels about children/jealousy. I'd probably feel more comfortable getting a puppy and raising it from the get go in this scenario!!

• imageImThisBabysMom:
    imageSclines2595:

imageKFCupcake:

Oh snap! You got me.

This makes sense to me. I did not read it that way or look at it that way. But your logic does work on me this time!!

Did not intend for it to sound as though I was leaning one way or another.  Like I said previoulsy -- I think it is kind of irresponsible to adopt a pit (or any other shelter dog for that matter) 3 months before having a baby simply because they don't know the history of that dog or how it will react around their baby. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagemrsadamc 05:

While I personally am not a fan of the breed, I do believe they are misunderstood and if properly trained they can be gentle.  

Well said. My parents had a rottie and I think they got a bad rep too, as do many of the so called "aggresive" type breeds. Our Rosie was the sweetest girl ever and was trained well by my parents. It's definitely on the owner to train their dog, regardless of breed.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Oh, and I wouldn't adopt a dog right before having a baby, because I think it's bad timing for both the dog and the owners.
  • I think that adopting any type of dog from a shelter is a no go when you have kids.  It's just really hard to tell if the dog is going to adjust not only to your home, but your family.  Yes they go through lots of testing for aggressiveness, but animals are animals.  We bought our dog when the girls were little and we got him as a puppy so he has grown to know our house.  I think the only way to ensure safety with animals is raise them to the atmosphere and not adopt a growth dog to adjust to your environment....even with some dogs you raise as puppies it could still be a questionable thing.   Pitbulls are a no in our family.
  • Sclines: "Did not intend for it to sound as though I was leaning one way or another.  Like I said previoulsy -- I think it is kind of irresponsible to adopt a pit (or any other shelter dog for that matter) 3 months before having a baby simply because they don't know the history of that dog or how it will react around their baby. "

I agree with that statement too. I thought shelters were supposed to evaluate the dogs and make sure they are people and child friendly before they go into a foster home or get adopted, but I most likely wouldn't take on a new pet right around the same time as having a baby. 1.) it's an additional responsibility to take care of amidst all the new baby changes and adjustments being made and 2.) yes it could be potentially dangerous to the baby since you don't know how any animal will react.

Sorry my quote isn't working right now for some reason.

• imagegekeler6:
    I think that adopting any type of dog from a shelter is a no go when you have kids.  It's just really hard to tell if the dog is going to adjust not only to your home, but your family.  Yes they go through lots of testing for aggressiveness, but animals are animals.  We bought our dog when the girls were little and we got him as a puppy so he has grown to know our house.  I think the only way to ensure safety with animals is raise them to the atmosphere and not adopt a growth dog to adjust to your environment....even with some dogs you raise as puppies it could still be a questionable thing.   Pitbulls are a no in our family.

Well said!! Totally agree with all of this!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagegekeler6:
    I think that adopting any type of dog from a shelter is a no go when you have kids.  It's just really hard to tell if the dog is going to adjust not only to your home, but your family.  Yes they go through lots of testing for aggressiveness, but animals are animals.  We bought our dog when the girls were little and we got him as a puppy so he has grown to know our house.  I think the only way to ensure safety with animals is raise them to the atmosphere and not adopt a growth dog to adjust to your environment....even with some dogs you raise as puppies it could still be a questionable thing.   Pitbulls are a no in our family.

If the dog has been in foster care, the foster parent should be able to give you a pretty good good idea of his temperament and whether he would be a good fit in a home with children. You can also find puppies in shelters and rescues if you want a puppy.

eta: even if a dog is not in foster, you can get a good idea about temperament and fit if the organization is one where staff have plenty of time to interact with and get to know the animals.

• imageTambcat:

imagegekeler6:

If the dog has been in foster care, the foster parent should be able to give you a pretty good good idea of his temperament and whether he would be a good fit in a home with children. You can also find puppies in shelters and rescues if you want a puppy.

eta: even in a (non-foster) rescue or shelter you can get a good idea about temperament and fit if the organization is one where staff have plenty of time to interact with and get to know the animals.

Exactly this.

• I have two pits.. one is a recue and the biggest baby on the face of the earth.. right now he is going through withdrawals because we are trying to break him of the habit of sleeping in the bed! you would think he lost his best friend..

My other Pit is a hunting dog.. he is an amazing catch dog and is trained to listen on command. He is amazing with my other dogs and my cat.. and especially with children... one of the best behaved dogs I have EVER had....   i am not worried in the slightest...

As others have pointed out... I am more concerned about them adopting a dog when they have a baby on the way... this is the one thing I WOULD NOT do.. despite what kind of dog it is... 

• I read the OP as asking about pit bulls specifically and not any shelter dog and being wary of pitts.

I have a low-key lab/pit mix we rescued 6 yrs ago who could lick you to death before he bites you. But that is for when he gets to know someone. He is unsure of new people (especially men) and will bark at you and back away from you while barking (not attack) until he feels confident. 

Would I rescue a dog 3 months before having a baby? Maybe. I would make sure it is at least 3 years old (out of puppy stage), that the shelter says it is good with kids and that the dog fits in with my lifestyle. 

When the babies come, I plan on supervising the dog and not leaving the babies with the dog unattended. This would be the same no matter what breed or background the dog had. When this dog dies, we plan on rescuing another pit, as we've enjoyed training him, working with him on his confidence issues and raising him.  

• I know a lot of people with pits... And have not come across any that are anything less than sweethearts. Having been a dog owner all my life, I have seen quite a few breeds. Some were sweet, some were mean, and all had different circumstances. 

Our first was an Alaskan husky shelter dog. He was so aggressive that my parents had to find him a home with a bachelor friend who was kind of a hermit to limit his interactions with people. 

Then was a golden retriever, sweet sweet dog. Also from a shelter.

Next a rotty, raised by my dad since he was 8 weeks old. Most wonderful dog there ever was (not that I'm biased or anything).

Then a bull mastiff. Not so affectionately nicknamed psycho dog, he lasted all of 12 months in our family before he had to be put down ( he attacked a police officer and a week later attacked a small child- was put down that day). He also was in our family from 8 weeks old.

Then a black lab. Great dog, great temperament. Also raised as a puppy by my dad.

So basically, I do not think it is fair to label a particular breed as "nasty" or "bad tempered" or "aggressive". It all depends on the individual dog, AND the situation in which they are raised.  And totally agree with pp about shittastic owners influencing a dog to be aggressive. However, I think any dog has potential to be aggressive, regardless of their raising. Mental illness = not just for people IMO.

• I'm coming into this post late and I'm just replying to the initial post, but I wouldn't adopt any bully breed dog with kids around.  Previous post are correct that any breed can show aggression.  I have a couple of smaller dogs that don't get along too well with my youngest kids.  I stay vigilant, but there are still occassions where one of the dogs snaps at one of the kids.  For me it's about the amount of damage the dog can do.  My brother has a rotty and a boxer that are super nice, but one little snap from them could do a lot more damage to the kids. 

Plus, kids are really dumb.  When my son was eight, he thought it would be fun to "play doggie" with my brother's dogs and tried to crawl over to the food bowls when the dogs were eating.  I stopped him mid-crawl, but kids just don't get that a sweet playful dog can turn aggressive and territorial anytime.  I think it takes a certain personality type to handle a dog with either A: aggressive tendancies, or B: the ability to inflict great harm with little effort.  With a shelter pitt bull, you run the risk of having both, and kids just can't be expected to be responsible for it.  Part of being a responsible dog owner is knowing that there are times when you aren't watching your dog and taking the necessary precautions.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I only read the first two sentences of this.

There are no bad dogs/breeds, but bad owners. I firmly believe that any dog/breed is capable of being bad if they are raised/trained to be.

I find this post extremely ignorant TBH.

Well said. I agree. 

ETA: Obviously, I came to this post very late and I replied before I had read all the other responses! Just figured I'd mention. I still agree with all the PPs that it's not the breed, it's the way it's trained. I have a yorkie (see siggy) who can be the meanest dog sometimes and has bitten many people! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"