Minnesota Babies
Options

Photographer Rec's

Does anyone know a good photographer that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?  I've heard of people I know paying $400+ for a photo shoot for their newborn(s).  That just seems outrageous to me.  Ideally we're looking for a studio or home set up that we go to, and we really only need the pictures on a disc, we can print them ourselves.

If we find someone reasonably priced we would love to get some photos done now too, before the babies arrive.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Photographer Rec's

• Options

Just want to put this out there...

If you go to JcPenney's you will pay at least $100 for the CD and will only receive 15 images or less and different variations of those same images.  You will only receive 10 minutes studio time too.  At least that is what is in their training...You also will not get any retouching beyond sepia and black and white.  You also won't get as many choices in poses. 

I know for my sessions I spend an hour and a half, plus there is driving time and editing time, plus most professionals carry insurance etc they must pay for.  I don't charge $400 but I also don't charge $100 either.

I know when I hired my wedding photographer I too thought it was outrageous for just "one day" of work, but now that I am doing it myself I realize just how much work goes into it. 

Just wanted to throw that out there : ) 

I also understand working on a budget and if you can find a good deal go for it! 

Just be careful too when dealing with those just starting out, there is a method in posing newborns and you probably don't want your little one to be a practice for someone especially on some of the poses... although everyone needs to start somewhere too!

• Options

I agree with a lot of what the PP said.

You need to be careful who you take your baby to. And a lot of it comes down to - what do you like in photos? do you like quality photos - or do you just want a picture taken so you have something in hand. Thats where your difference in pricing (most of the time) comes in, IMO. 

$400, IMO, is pretty reasonable when all is said and done. Take into account: they pay insurance, equipment, props they will use, hours that they spend practicing and learning, the time they spend with you shooting (ive had newborns take 3+ hours and that is completely fine), the time they take to carefully go through all of the images and select and carefully edit the best for you, and then packaging that cd up, and mailing it to you. Once a CD is released a photographers sales are basically over - so they wont make any more. Which some dont mind, and some only do prints or do a print minimum before you are able to purchase a disk because of that. 

There is NOTHING wrong with not wanting to pay $400 - with all that being said. But just remember to put your baby's safety first and look for someone who isnt shoving a newborn into a glass canister with gumballs (yes, people do that sadly) or someone who doesnt know how to safely handle your little one! 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kandice from Kandy Rae Photography (https://kandyraephotography.com/investment/) is reasonable and does wonderful work. She's a friend of mine, and I'm going to have her do our newborn photos.
  • Options

I am going with Kristen from  https://www.kephotomn.com/ I hired her for my Gender Reveal party as well as what I call a milestone collection. Maternity, Newborn, 6 months and 1 year photo shoot. I did book her sometime ago, since then her prices have gone up just a bit, but still so very worth it!!!

She has took newborn pictures for a friend of mine (whom I recommended) and they turned out SO perfect! Kristen has been collecting props for sometime now and cant wait for my little man to arrive so she can photograph him. My maternity session is coming up in a few weeks, really looking forward to working with her again! :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    #1: Alexander John: February 25, 2012      
      #2: EDD June 13, 2014

• Options

I highly recommend www.tarookephotography.com. 

She took my maternity and newborn pics and will also be doing 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and 1 year. She's amazing. And I do agree with PP, you get what you pay for. Tarookephotography isn't $400 for one session, but if you want a cheap photographer, you'll get cheap images. Tarookephotography has a studio, and also will come to you as well. Her images speak for themselves.  

• Options
    LeahMariaPhotography.com ? Leah is an amazing photographer and was absolutely wonderful with my kids. I highly recommend her. She is such a sweetheart.?
  • Options
    Frogpad Stuido -

Laura (owner & photographer) is amazing.  She brings all the props, backdrops, etc to YOUR HOME.  She's a mom of 3 so is amazing with kids, super patient, and has an amazing eye for catching perfect baby photos.  It's nice that she comes to you too, especially for a newborn, because they can be somewhat unpredictable (need to eat, need to change, need to sleep, etc) so you can be in the comfort of your own home.  I think she charges about $200 for a couple hours with you and baby, multiple outfits, backdrops, etc and you get all the photos fully edited on a disc.

She has a facebook page only - check it out!  I highly recommend her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"