Parenting after 35
Options

Help a FTM get back to the gym

I'm a gym rat and always have been.  I don't really need the motivation to do it, I need to figure out how to fit it in my baby's schedule.  I just can't seem to get away long enough to get in a good workout.  It's too cold outside for me to take the baby with me for an outdoor workout. It isn't supposed to get above 10 degrees for about the next 5 days.  When he's older I will bundle him up and off we will go but until his weight is a bit higher, I'm not comfortable with it.

How do you fit in workouts with your LO's, work, cleaning, etc...

*Also there may be the teensiest part of me that feels awful leaving DS for that long.*

~Married 11/08~
~TTC since 01/09~
~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
~BFN - 02/11~
~IUI #1 03/15/11~
BFP 3/28/2011
Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

Re: Help a FTM get back to the gym

• Options
    I enlist the help of DH.  Getting to the gym is important for both of us (although I haven't been the past two weeks) and we actually had this discussion before Stella was born.  He picks her up from daycare and spends a few hours with her while I run errands, workout or just go home and relax for a little bit.  He get his gym time in while I'm at work (he works thirds).  If I can't swing it after work because he has to go in early, is out of town or whatever, then I workout over my lunch break.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have a tri that I've committed to in late spring so its not too early to get back to the gym for me.  I was put on exercise restriction during my pregnancy so I haven't run since I was about 12 weeks pregnant....I want and need to get back to the gym. 

I worked out on my lunch while I was PG but I can't really get a proper workout on lunch any more....I really want to BF during that time (this is something we are still struggling with).

BB (before baby ) I would cardio in the morning and weights on my lunch hour but I want those happy smiles in the morning and want our time at night as well....ugh...so none of you can give me more hours in my day to make this work? 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a gym rat, too, and I found it very difficult to have a regular schedule until my DS turned 6 months.  My gym daycare doesn't take babies until they are 6 months.  Sigh!  Until then I had a babysitter one day a week so I could go.  I left G with my DH one evening and otherwise I just walked.  It was a hard adjustment and I was very relieved when my DS turned 6 months.  
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    I loved going to the gym, and although they have a free daycare there, I was never comfortable bringing him so SO stayed with him.  Now that it's cold, I just work out at home.  I put on some music and sweat my tush off!  The baby thinks it's hilarious.  I even include him in it.  It's so much fun with him, and he enjoys the mommy/me time. 
  • Options

I'll bite. I used to swim competitively and trained with the tri team until I was 38 weeks with L. I trained with the tri team because it was a lower intensity workout, relatively speaking (5000m swim daily). I also ran.

I couldn't tell what planet I was on for the first six weeks, and I wasn't cleared by the doctor to exercise until 8 weeks anyway (and this was in my 20's too). I started off by doing low impact, what else?? The pool. I got DH to help out, or it wouldn't have happened. BFing made it more challenging, but I made it work.

I had an event I had to be in shape for that I slowly built up for, it was 5 months pp. After swimming a few weeks, I threw in light running and built back up to 2/3 my workout from early pregnancy. If I had a triathlon to do, I may have signed up for a sprint tri, but not much more than that (and hellno to an Ironman length at 4 months pp). I did them when my workout schedule was 20+ hours of working out a week. Doing a tri at 4 months pp....unless you were doing a modified tri training before, I'd hook up with a local tri club and go from there. It will not feel the same, trust me. I felt like I hadn't exercised in years when I put my first month in at full speed.

• Options
    imagegimmietimmies:

I'll bite. I used to swim competitively and trained with the tri team until I was 38 weeks with L. I trained with the tri team because it was a lower intensity workout, relatively speaking (5000m swim daily). I also ran.

I couldn't tell what planet I was on for the first six weeks, and I wasn't cleared by the doctor to exercise until 8 weeks anyway (and this was in my 20's too). I started off by doing low impact, what else?? The pool. I got DH to help out, or it wouldn't have happened. BFing made it more challenging, but I made it work.

I had an event I had to be in shape for that I slowly built up for, it was 5 months pp. After swimming a few weeks, I threw in light running and built back up to 2/3 my workout from early pregnancy. If I had a triathlon to do, I may have signed up for a sprint tri, but not much more than that (and hellno to an Ironman length at 4 months pp). I did them when my workout schedule was 20+ hours of working out a week. Doing a tri at 4 months pp....unless you were doing a modified tri training before, I'd hook up with a local tri club and go from there. It will not feel the same, trust me. I felt like I hadn't exercised in years when I put my first month in at full speed.

Thanks! And I should have clarified...this is a sprint tri.  I tried to keep up with my cycling and swimming but on a very modified schedule.  Running was out completely.  Also late Spring where I live is about mid May so it is more like 6 months pp.  totally doable.  I always forget that most ppl have normal seasons :) 

Ive been walking everyday since I was discharged. I started doing lunges and squats at home after I was cleared at my 6 wk appointment. I havent been in the pool yet but was cleared to swim at my 6 wk.. I've tried doing some ab stuff but Holy Moses!, I'm really weak. 

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate it.  I have a tri team that I'd love to train with but I can't seem to get my schedule to mesh with theirs.

Im not looking forward to that 1st run after my long hiatus.  It will hurt...I can already tell :)

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011

• Options
    I wish I could give you a  good answer, but I am struggling with this myself.  After my c-section, I was not cleared to do much of anything until 6-8 weeks.  With the holidays, travel, etc., I also have not found time for exercise.  My date to return to work after 12 weeks is looming, and I don't want to miss out on a single minute of being with DD.  Sigh.  My "great plan" is to return to the gym when I return to work, but we'll see how that works and just continue our outside walks. (see, no answers but I understand! =) ).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCheezeFace:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Thanks! And I should have clarified...this is a sprint tri.  I tried to keep up with my cycling and swimming but on a very modified schedule.  Running was out completely.  Also late Spring where I live is about mid May so it is more like 6 months pp.  totally doable.  I always forget that most ppl have normal seasons :) 

Ive been walking everyday since I was discharged. I started doing lunges and squats at home after I was cleared at my 6 wk appointment. I havent been in the pool yet but was cleared to swim at my 6 wk.. I've tried doing some ab stuff but Holy Moses!, I'm really weak. 

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate it.  I have a tri team that I'd love to train with but I can't seem to get my schedule to mesh with theirs.

Im not looking forward to that 1st run after my long hiatus.  It will hurt...I can already tell :)

Whew for sprint tri....I almost did one this summer, but I'm still sporting a damn good foot injury. Yeah, I still find it hard to mesh schedules with any of our teams, so I find a few people that do additional training time later in the evening. Our Masters team usually goes from 8-9 TueThurSat, but even that I find hard with DH's schedule, and they don't have space for me until September. So I'm going to go on my own while T is at waterpolo.

I feel your pain on the first run back! I used to do a 34min 10k, but back then I was happy just to finish it, and under an hour. I'm not even sure at this point I'd attempt running a 10k (swim yes). I injured my foot badly at 34 weeks with S... a 7k strenous hike that at the time felt fine. And my feet were sore anyway, so who would notice. Now I come to find out it's a bunion. Walking in most shoes hurts! Sigh, it's a surgical fix, right along with the abdominal repair that I need because I tore badly with L.

Good luck, be tenacious, I'm sure you'll find a way to train like you want to. If you feel your motivation slipping, we'll back you up!

• Options
    Can you try doing a DVD while baby naps while you're at home?  The problem I have with this is always finding the energy... but if you have even a 30-50 minute strength video that might help you feel like you're getting back into it in a way that works with your climate and schedule.  I really like Jillian MIchaels - I have one called No More Problem Areas or something like that - my pregnant brain is not retrieving the correct title right now!  You just need hand weights and 40-50 minutes and I felt like I got a decent strength workout in.  GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was a SAHM for 3 years after DS was born and I tookhim with me to my jazzercise class while he sat in the stroller.  After a while ofcourse, that didn't work so well the older he got, he wanted to get out and move around.  I would recommend the day care at the gym or have your DH watch him while you go work out.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"