Natural Birth

Would you get a doula for a 2nd birth?

I looooved my doula, but she is no longer practicing. DH and I were just talking last night about whether I would get another one if we have another baby. He had just assumed I would, I thought maybe he had watched her, picked up a few tips and could perhaps do the doula-thing himself next time. Plus, I imagine labor will go a lot faster next time and that I'll have a better idea of what to expect without someone talking me through all of it. (Naive, perhaps?)

So, would you? Why or why not?

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you get a doula for a 2nd birth?

• Labor MAY go faster with your second pregnancy, but not for all women.

Also, unless your husband is a medical guy, chances are he was too busy focusing on you/anticipation and not really paying attention to the doula. I mean, many husbands can be great advocates for a their wives, but it's not like they have a vagina or have ever given birth, kwim?

I'd ask your doula if she knows anybody good. :)

• I had a midwife instead of a doula because she's covered by healthcare, but women I know who have all say they would totally do it again! My sis in law just had her fourth, and had a doula for the first time and found it really helpful. Unless your first birth was so short that you think your doula wouldn't have time to make it to you this time, I would do it again.. there is something about having a skilled woman beside you in that time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll talk it over with DH when the time comes, but I would lean toward a doula again. I had a good birth experience, but I think she had a lot to do with why I did and I'm not really that confident DH would know what to do in the heat of the moment.

I do think I'll probably be more confident... but only if things go the same. If I have different challenges, I'll be equally surprised/confused and looking for more experience to guide me.

• I am because I know my doula was able to support me more effectively while I was on pitocin than my husband was.   He was pretty ineffective and I probably would have lost it if it wasn't for the doula helping me focus.   He was great and kept me from getting an epidural (what I wanted) but he didn't know how to calm me when it got rough.   I also had my water break early last time so I'm really scared of not knowing when to go into the hospital this time.   I don't want to go in too early but I'm afraid we would be scared of going in too late and I'd end up there earlier than necessary.
  • I definitely would.  I loved having a doula at both of my births and if I have a third, I will hire a doula again.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You could draw a entirely different birth so if I was in your shoes I would use a doula again. But I'd also suggest doing what you can to convince your old doula to come out of retirement for you. Start greasing the wheel a bit :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would, and did, even though we had moved out of state and couldn't use the same doula. DH insisted, because he felt more comfortable knowing it wasn't ALL on his shoulders if I had a long or difficult labor.

We've hired her again for this birth. We could probably do without her, because we're having a homebirth and will have lots of support from our midwives, but I want her there and it can't hurt! If we were having a hospital birth, I'd have a doula for sure, no questions asked.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• I'm due in June with my 2nd and we hired our doula last month.  Just like every pregnancy can be different, every labor and birth can be too. 

Also, just because your DH witnessed one labor/birth certainly doesn't mean he'll have the knowledge and confidence to go it alone this time.

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • I absolutely would hire a doula again(the same doula, if i could!), because she was so helpful to have last time and absolutely instrumental in my son's med- free, zero intervention birth at a big NYC hospital!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't have a Doula but I delivered in a birth center in a hospital where I had a nurse that was dedicated to me. We had thought about getting a doula but decided not to because the nurses there pretty much act as doulas since they only have one patient at a time and will stay with you until you deliver. The nurse was wonderful! My husband was very supportive but at one point I started to hyperventilate (did not happen with my first and I was not expecting it) which completely freaked out my husband. He thought I was going to die and so did I at the time. The nurse laid down next to me on the bed and got right in my face and helped me get my breathing under control. I think I probably would have passed out if it wasn't for that nurse. My husband was great but sometimes you need someone else who wont freak out if things get scary. 

Oh, and my second labor was longer than my first. Not everyone's second is shorter, so I wouldn't make decisions based on that assumption.   

• I'm planning on it specifically because my H sucked as a birth partner for my first.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    I definitely would.  I loved having a doula at both of my births and if I have a third, I will hire a doula again.  

A million times this!

My second labor was totally different from my first, and I'm sure a third would be different still.  The reasons for hiring a doula don't change with subsequent births -- they just get reinforced. Doulas do important work! 

• imageiris427:
    I definitely would.  I loved having a doula at both of my births and if I have a third, I will hire a doula again.  

A million times this!

My second labor was totally different from my first, and I'm sure a third would be different still.  The reasons for hiring a doula don't change with subsequent births -- they just get reinforced. Doulas do important work! 

• That's true what the PP said, you cannot guarantee labor will be faster...however you've been through it before. I had a doula with my son and it was a good experience. She was a really good friend though for several years before I got PG so it was more like a friend with knowledge assisting me even though she is certified. Anyway, will I use one again if/when we're blessed with a second? I'm leaning towards no. She did help DS turn after nearly two days in labor but knowing that tip I think I'd just like DH and perhaps my mom  and sister there tops next go around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I didn't have one for my first birth, but I'm having one this time around.  I would definitely have one.  Even though I really know what to expect, I really want the support that I know she can provide for both of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"