Success after IF
Options

Clomid vs. Letrozole - have any of you tried both?

We are dealing with MFI (low sperm count), docs recommend IVF but our insurance does not cover it but does cover IUI unlimited...we have tried numerous IUI clomid cycles which did not result in any BFPs, I did however respond excellent each time and so far have had no side effects...this month the docs are switching me to Letrozole which I start taking today (last month my hubby's sperm count was the highest it has ever been: 20 million prewash/14 million postwash, he has been taking a variety of different vitamins which might be working).  My question is have any of you had failed IUI clomid cycles but got a BFP with Letrozole?  If so how many cycles of each did you have?  Did you have any side effects from the  Letrozole?  Were you dealing with MFI?  Thanks for your feedback :)

Re: Clomid vs. Letrozole - have any of you tried both?

• Options

This may be a stupid question but is Letrozole = Femara?  If so then yes I've tried Clomid and Femara.  I did not respond to Clomid at 50 and 100mg.  But did respond at 150mg with a failed cycle.  Our third Femara IUI resulted in DS (we weren't dealing with MFI though, only PCOS).  I had no side effects with Femara.

Good luck to you! 

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I do believe it's known as Femara too :)  Thanks so much!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I assume they are moving you on past clomid because you can only take clomid for a few months (I think most OBs will do up to 6) before moving on.  I did clomid and femera and responded on both and got pg on both (clomid resulted in a mc).  I hod no side effects from femera.  We weren't dealing with MFI.  Good luck!
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options

I did nine cycles with clomid, two of them with IUIs, with only one resulting in pregnancy and that was a timed intercourse cycle.  That pregnancy also ended in a miscarriage.

I've also done one cycle of Femara with IUI and when that didn't work I tried Femara, three days of Follistim and an IUI and that ended with a successful pregnancy.

Our issues are 0% morph and borderline count and motility for my DH and old age for me along with being a poor responder to meds.

I had no side effects with Femara and I was on a very high dose.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Yes that's exactly why we are moving on to this :)  Thanks for your input :)
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • Options

I didn't do both, but if you respond with a similar number of follicles to both drugs, letrozole does not have a negative impact on your lining, so it can have an edge over Clomid.  And ditto pp that there is a limit on the number of times you can take clomid.  

I have done three letrozole cycles, the first was successful (DD) and the next two were BFN.  All were with TI, but we are moving on to letrozole + injectables + IUI now.  My lining was not great with the last two letrozole cycles, so the RE wants to add the injectables for that reason.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I loved clomid and hated letrazole - probably in a minority there. I got pg the first time on clomid with twins but lost them. The clomid does thin my lining though and when we tried again I only did one cycle of clomid. I tried two of letrazole and got follies both times but no pg resulted. The letrazole made me bleed mid-cycle which NEVER happened to me before. I just didn't like it.....we moved on to further treatments with injectibles after that....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have spotted for about a week leading up to my BFNs on the clomid which before doing the fertility treatments I would normally only spot the day before getting my period - I am curious to see how my body reacts to the Letrozole, I hope I respond as well as I have to the clomid :)
  • Options

I had 5 failed Clomid cycles...I never responded.

I got pregnant with my first letrozole cycle...and that gave me my beautiful daughter.

14 million is great for MFI.  My doctor says he can work with anything greater than 9 million...

Good luck!

• Options
    Yes the 14 million was the highest postwash count yet - he went as low as 100,000 but normally teetered @ 1-5 million - he has been taking a few different vitamins the last couple months I am wondering if they are working - he medically is ok - all his urine, bloodwork and physical exams came back good so it's sort of "unexplained" - he did just turn 40 and works around excessive heat all day so they think these may be effecting his counts - I can't wait to see what the count is this month I hope it's at least the same if not higher :)
  • Options
    I didn't, but a friend of mind did. She had several clomid cycles she didn't respond to. She got a bfp the first or second letrozole cycle and ended up with triplets.
    siggy should be here!
  • Options

My IF issue is different as I didn't ovulate (PCOS), but I did both clomid and femara (letrozole). I did not respond to clomid and had horrible side effects. I took femara and did not respond on the lower dose, but when it was upped, I began ovulating. IUI #1 + Femara = DD. I also had absolutely no side effects on the letrozole.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't respond that great to clomid and only every used it with TI not IUI, but I had lots of s/e with clomid and none with Femara.  I responded well to 7.5mg (not a good response with 5mg) and got pregnant that first month on 7.5mg w/ IUI.  I'm PCOS.  Not technically MFI but DH's #'s weren't exactly stellar because he'd been on some meds and had some bladder issues requiring him to have a home cath for a few weeks so that took his counts down a little.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!!!
  • Options
    We were only dealing with PCOS and I did 8 rounds of Clomid with a m/c, then we switched to letrozole and IUI. Our first cycle was a success - even though DH's post-wash count was low - maybe 5 million? We were on the border of not going through the the IUI b/c of the count, but everything else looked so good my RE went ahead and we now have a bright and bubbly 4-year old!
  • Options
    Wow that is good to hear and very reassuring, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"