D.C. Area Babies

Carseat ?s

We will be in the market for a second carseat for DH's car soon.  Our current RF seat goes up to 35lbs, so C will be able to remain in that for a while, but transferring the seat between cars is becoming a hassle, especially since I can barely carry him in the seat anymore (25lb baby + 18lb carseat = woah).  C will be 1 in a few weeks. 

So, given that info, and the fact that AAP now recommends children staying RF for at least 2 years, would you get a convertible carseat, or just get a FF one? 

Also, does anyone know if there are any times when BRU or Great Beginnings have good sales on carseats?  I'd like to get a Britax, and if there are good sales, I might just buy two at the same time, since C will eventually grow out of the current 35lb RF Graco that we have.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Carseat ?s

• I'd get a convertible/RF one, and keep him RF for another year... but, make sure it fits in your cars first, at the right angle.  Ours is a tight fit, because when I bought it, I didn't realize that the seat isn't supposed to sit straight up..

J is still RF, though (and she'll be 3 in less than a month).... so, I may be biased.  LOL. 

Side note - I find it weird that AAP makes recommendations on car seats.  

• I would get a convertible to keep him RFing as well.  Like PP, my DD was RFing until she was 2 years 10 months, so I'm definitely in that camp.  DS1 is in a Britax and is now FFing because he outgrew it RFing by height much earlier than DD, and I'm not completely comfortable with it.

My DS1 was a big baby, but he grew more slowly in his second year (as most kids do) and still may not be 35 pounds yet.  So a RFing convertible that goes up to 35 will likely be used for a while and is the safest way to go.

I've been at Great Beginnings during car seat sales, so they do have them - but I don't know if it's just on last year's models, floor samples, discontinued colors, etc.  We bought both of our Britax from Albee Baby which runs good sales ?twice? a year.

• Loading the player...
  • I'd get a convertible to RF too...we have a Britax Marathon (4 actually if you include my parents cars) and have been really happy with it. DS is still RF in my car at 26 months, and that's where he rides most of the time. We did turn him FF in the other car at 25 months. I am a big RF until 2 person too, so biased as well. FWIW, he's gone between the 2 fine, I know some kids don't do well with that. Not sure about sales this time of year, we got ours at BRU around July or so of 2010 and it was when they were bringing the new models in (like cars!) so it was on sale.

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • What carseat do you have him in now?  Is it an infant one with a base?  If so you may want to check the height.  DD was our of her's by height long before she will ever hit the weight requirement.  We bought the Britax Marathon for my car and the Britax Roundabout for DH's.  I'm happy with both.
  • imageBirdGirl01:
    What carseat do you have him in now?  Is it an infant one with a base?  If so you may want to check the height.  DD was our of her's by height long before she will ever hit the weight requirement.  We bought the Britax Marathon for my car and the Britax Roundabout for DH's.  I'm happy with both.

This is exactly what I was thinking. DS was out of the infant seat at 7 months due to height. We bought Marathons for our van and Cosco Sceneras for our Honda Fit (which only serve as emergency/just in case seats for b/c they only fit forward facing in our Fit).  

• He's in the Graco Snugride 35 now, and is just moving up to the top notches for the shoulder straps.  But he's tall, so he might grow out of the seat height-wise before he grows out of it weight-wise.  Thank you for reminding me of that.  I think either way, it sounds like buying a convertible (or two) and installing it RF for now is the best.
  • We have a Britax Marathon in one car that we got from Albee Baby during a sale. I would not buy a Britax without a good sale or an even better coupon - those suckers are pricey!

We bought a Cosco Scenera for $50 at Walmart for our Hyundai Elantra, but H rarely rides in it. I just couldn't fathom spending so much on two car seats when only one of them got 99% of the use. Even still, it gets very good ratings and she seems to like that one better - go figure.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We love our Britax Roundabout 55. We have a Civic and the Marathon wouldn't fit. Also, by 55lbs. DS will probably be ready for a different type of car seat, so we didn't see the point of investing in the seats that go up to 85lbs!
    snowbaby-1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you can hang in there, Britax usually has a sale on its older models twice a year - once in February, once in August.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"