Special Needs

ASD really is a puzzle. (no point really.)

I feel like my life is a living science experiment. 

Identical twins with ASD. They present SO differently. They are almost 2.

Baby A seems to have mild ASD - (not saying anyone has told me that - don't even know if that is correct terminology).

He has good eye contact, gets his needs met, plays appropriately with toys, has a speech delay but is picking up quickly since his DX with speech therapy and a special ed teacher. He doesn't play much with other kids but when other kids are around he wants to be apart of what they are doing. He has some quirky movements, likes to dig his chin into people and occasionally toe walks. he can perseverate on electronic toys. Enjoys stacking blocks in a typical way, taking things from his sister.

Baby B has very poor eye contact,(except with me),  has been slow with progress in his various therapies. He has 2 words but they are used for everything. (he says" up but he says it for everything he needs).  He paces, laughs at nothing, jumps in place and flaps. He is very loving, likes to be held and hugged. FLips books over and over without really reading, can't clap or do a simple puzzle, but learning slowly. Loves music and can give eye contact through an entre song, but has a tough time with eye contact close up.

They completely ignore each other except for occasional fighting over toys or getting jealous over who I'm holding.

I'm just so sad about both my little men. I'm especially worried for baby b.  He's really stuck in there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ASD really is a puzzle. (no point really.)

• Who diagnosed your sons?  When I read your description of Baby A, I wondered how/why he got the diagnosis

• I have been reading your posts lately and know that you are so concerned, as anyone would be...but like the other poster said about baby A, I  am no Dr. but doesn't seem too off for the age.

Also, really?... kids are diagnosed this early with ASD?  I guess I should know that but I really didn't know they did that this early on.

My family isn't dealing with ASD but I just wanted to say keep your chin up and try to stay positive- it's all we can control when dealing with something we can't control.

• Loading the player...
  • My guys got a provisional diagnosis by Yale, Baby b was first - he is pretty typical ASD in my opinion. I noticed at 15 months. It took awhile before anyone believed me.

Once EI DX him I had Yale evaluate and they agreed. They asked me to bring in his twin. I was thinking that they would be very interested in twins where only one had ASD b/c the odds are 70% of identical twins will both have it if 1 does. 

I was pretty surprised when they said he had it too. They did say that my guys are "provisional" b/c it's too early to tell.  

The early DX has been amazingly helpful. Both guys get a ton of services. baby b has had slow progress like I mentioned, but he did go from not turning when you call his name to asking to be picked up. Baby a has soared in therapy. 

• Just curious where in CT you are? I live not far from Yale. Sounds like you have a good amount of services in place for them.  They are both lucky to have you advocating for them.  I wish you the best of luck and am sending hugs to you.

Kirsten DD 4-7-06
  • CrazeyJaney, my DS sounds a lot like your Baby A. Can I ask what your sons are getting for services? Right now my DS has 14-15 hours/week of ABA, and a 2 1/2 hour therapeutic playgroup. His progress has been amazing. Still, I'm really scared of what the future might bring, especially the next year when behaviors may become more clearly dysfunctional. Sigh.... it's really hard to stay strong though this.
  • Both of my sons will be attending an ABA school for 10 hours a week. Afterwards they have a BCBA from EI who will be coming 2 hours a week, speech 1.45 hours. We are still hamering out the details of what EI services will continue after school for them b/c time is limited. They get home from school, have naps and then services wil lstart again at 2:30. So we need to fit in as much as possible by EI.

How old is your DS? 

• Kirbear, I'm near Danbury. Our EI (B23) is sub par, thus the private ABA school. We went to Yale for the toddler study - it was pretty amazing. They gave us guidelines for what to do for our sons. They suggested 5 hours a week of speech and ABA. We have 10 hours ABA and we're short on speech. Still tryingto figure out how to accomplish this.
  • I also have 2 with ASD that present as total opposites.  DS#1 is 5 and DS#2 is almost 4.  My older DS has/had severe social anxiety to the point where he would hardly talk to other children or adults and DS#2 has never met a stranger.  One has always had advanced articulation and the other had no words at 2.  I'm sure you having twins and the tendency of outsiders is to expect them to be "the same" also plays into some of the science experiment feel.

It does get better.  My older DS had absolutely no interest in DS#2 at the same age as your guys.  They now play (and fight) in a pretty typical fashion 90% of the time.  They love each other and share hugs, run to show each other things, and definitely have their own little bond.  They have changed and blossomed so much from that age.  For us, a lot of DS#1's anxiety came off as being closed off.  Once he was older and we could do things to help with that, lots of other things fixed themselves.  Hang in there.  It is very emotionally exhausting dealing with 2 sets of issues that are diagnosed the same, but actually very different.  I found the age you are in now to be the hardest, so hopefully you are due for some great things to come!

• Bugmommy, you just made my day. I dream of a bond between brothers. I pray for it. It was there and one day it disappeared. I really hope it comes back!
  • imageCrazeyJaneyR:

Both of my sons will be attending an ABA school for 10 hours a week. Afterwards they have a BCBA from EI who will be coming 2 hours a week, speech 1.45 hours. We are still hamering out the details of what EI services will continue after school for them b/c time is limited. They get home from school, have naps and then services wil lstart again at 2:30. So we need to fit in as much as possible by EI.

How old is your DS? 

He is 21 months. How old are your guys? What are they working on in their ABA programs? Feel free to PM me.

• Yes, two seems to be a good age for a diagnosis.  Although, most of us knew way earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"