VBAC

VBAC Candidate? My story---Need Some Advice!

Hi Ladies. I had some questions in regards to VBACs and what makes a person a good candidate. While I have no decided this is the route I would like to go, I am interested in finding out more information. This post may be a bit rambly, so please forgive me.   WARNING: THIS IS A NOVEL!!!

LAST PREGNANCY: With my last pregnancy, I had been warned that I had a higher chance of a c-section due to me not showing any signs of labor. We scheduled an induction at 41 weeks.  I started having back labor 4 days prior to my induction. My contractions were not changing a darn thing down there and I was warned again that I may be at a higher risk for the c-section. I went into active labor (all back) a day before I was supposed to go to the hospital to start my induction. By this time I was beyond exhausted. I went to the hospital and was only at 2 cm. I was crying from being in so much pain and being exhausted, and they told me it was fine to get my epidural and they told me it would not slow anything down. They broke my water and started me on pitocin. I asked for food or popsicles and I was told I could not have any in case it ended in surgery. Well, 17 1/2 hours later, it was time to push. My epidural had worn off and I really struggled. I had spiked a fever and was really scared. My daughter was showing no signs of distress, but I was really scared. After 2 1/2 hours of pushing, and NOTHING happening, I began to pass out between the contractions. The doctor came in and suggested the c-section but left it up to me. I chose to go that route (though I do not remember much of that conversation). They did the c-section and really struggled getting her out of me. My husband said they took what looked like crow bar and had to pry her out---it took awhile. I felt way more than I should have. My daughter was born weighing in at 8.13 and 21 inches. She was born with a 102 fever, but after 15-30 minutes she was fine. This was on 2/26/2011. I would go through it again in a heartbeat to have my healthy baby girl, but I am a bit traumitzed by it (I also know that much of this was my own fault).

TODAY: I have since switched doctors (but same practice), and I have now heard from 2 people that I am not a good VBAC candidate. I asked if it was because my pregnancies are too close, but both doctors told me that the recommendation is birth=18 months apart. Mine will be 16-17. I was told that I have a narrow pelvis and obviously produce larger babies and that I just can not pass them vaginally. Can that be true? Am I not a candidate because I couldn't push her out the first time? I told my doctor I am 21 lbs smaller this go round than last and I would try to eat much better/exercise for this pregnancy (which has now gone down the drain due to a SCH). She just said "we will see".

My goal is to have a healthy baby, no matter how that comes to be. I realize with the complications I am having with my SCH, none of this may matter anyway, but does it sound like there is no hope for me? I can not find much on what would/would not make me a good candidate online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! And, of course, thanks for reading!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: VBAC Candidate? My story---Need Some Advice!

• I think you sound like a pretty good candidate.  You did in fact go into labor and begin dilating on your own.  You were able to get to 10cms.  You were able to move your daughter down the birth canal (if you hadn't, it wouldn't have been as hard to 'pry' her out).  All the work you did with #1, should help with #2. 

I would really look to find a provider or doula who can help position you and work on pushing.  I had a very similar labor and my 'decision' to have a c-section sounds about the same.   I think if I had someone there telling me what to do and moving me around, I would have done much better.  Your current provider doesn't really sound supportive.

I'm also planning to visit a chiropractor in the weeks leading up to delivery, so that my pelvis can be optimally aligned.  They say this is particularly important, if you spend a lot of time toting a toddler on your hip.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You might want to look at a second opinion outside your current practice.  My first was over 10 lbs.  Yes, I was prone to growing big babies.  My VBAC baby was 8 and a half and came out after 45 minutes of pushing, no problem.  Every pregnancy is different and I agree that you sound like a good candidate based on the information given.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both for responding (and reading my novel)! I am not sure if it is strange I am thinking about this right now with my complications, but I figure if my SCH resolves itself, I would like to know where to go from here. Another question. My huge practice (directly related with the new hospital we want to deliver at) has midwives too. Do you think I should speak to them to get their opinions, or do you think it is more of a practice policy and they would not be able to help me either???
  • I was told the same thing after my c-section.  I had pushed for about 2 hours and my baby got wedged in my pelvis at 0 station.  My OB told me I was not a good candidate for VBAC and that if I tried, I would most likely just end up in the exact same scenario.

I mulled it over for a long time, did some research, got some second opinions and decided to try for a VBAC with a supportive, encouraging doctor.  Not only did I not end up in the same scenario, my VBAC could not have gone better.  I was in labor less than 6 hours and had no trouble pushing out a baby.  Instead of my pelvis being too small, I delivered a baby that was actually 2 oz. larger than my first baby. 

So yes it's possible to have a pelvis that is too narrow, but that's very rare.  But pushing and then having a c/s does not mean you cannot have your next baby vaginally.  From the way you are describing your labor, I would bet that you had a malpositioned baby.  Sometimes when the baby is not positioned right, they won't fit and it makes it seem like your pelvis is too small when in reality, the baby is just not aligned right   A malposition is unlikely to occur again in your next pregnancy and having a properly positioned baby makes a huge difference. (This is what happened with my two kids--the first was occiput posterior and my VBAC baby was positioned correctly).

Your doctor doesn't sound very supportive of you VBAC'ing, would you consider getting another opinion from a different doctor or midwife?

Why do you say it's your fault that you are traumatized?  I don't see anything in your birth story that you should blame yourself for.  A lot of us here had traumatizing c/s experiences and it's not your fault. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry, I did not mean to say it was my fault I was traumatized. I guess what I was trying to say is that it is somewhat my fault that I got the c-section. If I had made different decisions, I may not have had to had the c-section. I always had a gut feeling that I would have a c-section with my daughter---way before labor was ever discussed. I also knew/know that I will always have back labor due to my uterus. However, I should have done more research on how to manage my pain better. I should have stayed home longer instead of going to the hospital and getting an epidural at 2 cms. I should have kicked my husband's family out of my room while I was laboring so I could have tried to sleep some so I could have had more energy when it was time to push. Last of all, I should have waited just a bit longer before consenting to my c-section since it was not an emergency.

By no means do I beat myself up over the c-section (as I said, I always had a gut feeling it would happen) because I have a healthy daughter to show for it. If I end up in a c-section again, I will try not to be too sad about it because I just want a healthy baby again. However, I do wish I had prepared myself better and made a few different decisions last go round, and I hope to be better armed with information to make the best decision this go round. Does that make any sense?

• imageark83:

Sorry, I did not mean to say it was my fault I was traumatized. I guess what I was trying to say is that it is somewhat my fault that I got the c-section. If I had made different decisions, I may not have had to had the c-section. I always had a gut feeling that I would have a c-section with my daughter---way before labor was ever discussed. I also knew/know that I will always have back labor due to my uterus. However, I should have done more research on how to manage my pain better. I should have stayed home longer instead of going to the hospital and getting an epidural at 2 cms. I should have kicked my husband's family out of my room while I was laboring so I could have tried to sleep some so I could have had more energy when it was time to push. Last of all, I should have waited just a bit longer before consenting to my c-section since it was not an emergency.

By no means do I beat myself up over the c-section (as I said, I always had a gut feeling it would happen) because I have a healthy daughter to show for it. If I end up in a c-section again, I will try not to be too sad about it because I just want a healthy baby again. However, I do wish I had prepared myself better and made a few different decisions last go round, and I hope to be better armed with information to make the best decision this go round. Does that make any sense?

Yes perfect sense.  I felt the same way after my c/s.  But I don't think you are "at fault" still. :) 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    imageark83:

Sorry, I did not mean to say it was my fault I was traumatized. I guess what I was trying to say is that it is somewhat my fault that I got the c-section. If I had made different decisions, I may not have had to had the c-section. I always had a gut feeling that I would have a c-section with my daughter---way before labor was ever discussed. I also knew/know that I will always have back labor due to my uterus. However, I should have done more research on how to manage my pain better. I should have stayed home longer instead of going to the hospital and getting an epidural at 2 cms. I should have kicked my husband's family out of my room while I was laboring so I could have tried to sleep some so I could have had more energy when it was time to push. Last of all, I should have waited just a bit longer before consenting to my c-section since it was not an emergency.

Yes perfect sense.  I felt the same way after my c/s.  But I don't think you are "at fault" still. :) 

Exactly what Iris said! I definitely went over the what-ifs of my c-section again and again. I agree that it's not your fault about what happened. A good forum you might want to check out is Solace for mothers, it's for women who've had difficult/traumatic births. hth

https://www.solaceformothers.org/mothers-forum.html

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"