Baby Showers
Options

Baby Shower Ideas

I'm working on planning a baby shower for my friend who is due in March. She isn't finding out the gender so I'm having a hard time coming up with a color scheme or a theme. The only one that has been suggested is the typical Noah's Ark theme, which is cute, but I want something more modern and original.

I have thought of incorporating brown with pink and light blue somehow. I'm just trying to start thinking of ideas since it's only a few months away and I would like to have it mostly planned by the end of January.

Any suggestions or ideas? Anything is appreciated! 

Also, I have thought of possibly doing a "meet the baby" shower AFTER the baby is born, just because then we will know if it's a boy or girl and be able to shower her with more appropriate gifts. (It is hard to find gender neutral clothes, etc. anymore) Thoughts on this?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Shower Ideas

• Options

I was team green and heard some of the same things you are saying from my host.  Still, we wanted to wait, as we are this time, for the delivery room surprise.  It sounds terrible to say, but it made for a very good shower from my point of view.  So many people love to buy outfits, but since they didn't know what we were having, they went with practical things off our registry.  I really appreciated it.

As far as a theme goes, I have a couple ideas.  If you're thinking like for February could you do something with expecting a lovebug or overflowing with love or a new little one to snuggle or something like that? My sister's shower was in October and we did Welcome Little Pumpkin.  We decorated in fall stuff with pumpkins, not Halloween though.  Likewise, we threw another friend a shower with an airplane theme, because dad to be is a pilot.  We did "Now Arriving, baby Weebs"  

• Options

Meet the baby might not be as welcomed by the mother to be as a shower because she might be waiting to buy some things until after the shower.  I know shower's aren't all about the gifts, but let's be honest and say that many people do rely on them at least a little bit to help out with some of things that you need on hand when baby comes home.  I don't really think that the convenience of you being able to chose a gender-theme is a good reason to postpone a baby shower until after the baby is born.

Your shower doesn't necessarily need a theme, but there are plenty to chose from - my suggestion would be to ask the MTB how she plans on decorating her nursery - or just look on her registry to see what the bedding looks like and then mirror that in your theme.  If her bedding is animal themed (as gender neutral tends to be) then despite it being a bit boring to you, you should probably stick with it becuase it's what she's chosen. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the input!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was team green with DS and we did a Wizrard of Oz theme.  It was really cute with a yellow brick road on the table, little ruby slippers, and the cake said "Lions and Tigers and Baby, Oh my!" We also did a "Night, night, sleep tight" theme for my other shower.  We had little moons and sleepy bear decorations.  I think a team green shower ideas are not hard.

As far as gifts, I thought it was MUCH better to have a team green shower.  Friends of mine that knew the gender got 90% cutesy little newborn outfits in pink or blue and 10% things they actually needed for their showers.  I felt like I got a lot more functional and useable gifts because people couldn't buy little frilly dresses or sailor outfits! Gender neutral stuff is not hard to find in small sizes. Good luck! 

• Options
    There are plenty of gender neutral stuff you can find. Getting a registry is a good idea! Another good idea would be to give baby shower favors.  I found little boxes of pastel blue and pink online. I filled it with candy and let the guests choose pink if they thought it would be a girls and blue boxes if they thought it would be a boy. It was fun and the boxes were so cute. Many of my friends hung them on their Christmas trees!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"