Natural Birth

Benefits of Puking :P

I was just reminded of something my doula friend told me the other day and thought I'd share for encouragement. Apparently every time you have to vomit during labour you dilate an entire centimeter! Not that puking would be fun, I'm glad I didn't last time, but if you do feel sick and feel the need, don't fight it, it moves you along so fast! note: I am not recommending that you force yourself to puke to get that baby out quicker lol! 

Re: Benefits of Puking :P

• Oh wow. That's a new one to me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I was in labor, and was extremely nauseous, the nurse told me that you feel sick to your stomach when you are dilating. So the dilation is probably not the result of the puking, rather the symptom of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • This was not at all true for me.  I threw up A LOT while in labor, and there is no way each time was a centimeter.  Moving around did change things, since I was very likely to throw up if I was ever on my back for any period of time.
  • I do believe that puking has benefits, but like PP said, it's more likely a symptom of dilation than a cause. And I doubt it's true for everyone that barfs (or even most people) that you dilate a whole cm. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was feeling nauseous during labor I remember reminding myself not to try to keep from throwing up. My doula didn't put an exact number on it but suggested that the loss of control caused in throwing up opens up the cervix as well.
  • I threw up about 7 times in the first 12+ hours after being admitted to the hospital and had dilated from a 1 to a 4 in the whole time.

When I dilated from 5-10 in four hours, I only threw up as my water naturally broke at 10 cm.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place.
    Suddenly it moves with such a perfect grace.
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Really?? Thats kinda cool. Now I'm kinda really scared of puking during labor, I've always hated throwing up, so thank you for sharing this. I think I might be a little more open to whatever my body needs to do to get lo out.
    AnniversaryImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"