Blended Families
Options

just separated

After 6 years of marriage and years of fighting and failed attempt of counseling my DH and I separated today, of all days. We have 2 young kids, house and debt. I am a SAHM and FT student after a few years of teaching before kids. 

Due to holiday weekend I have to wait until Tuesday to speak with a mediator.

I am wondering what happens next, custody, alimony etc.

I do not want to share a house with him while this pans and fear for my safety due to past threats.  We have a house with numerous guns, weapons etc. I am uncomfortable.  

Advice, help?

Re: just separated

• Options
    I don't have any advice for you but I can suggest asking the knowledgable ladies of the starting over or single parents boards. 

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Can you afford a lawyer? I suggest that. My DH and his ex divorced without lawyers but they had no assets at the time and used the court mediator for custody and child support. If you fear for your safety, maybe consider getting a protection order?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Call the Domestic Violence Hotline.

1-800-621-4673

They are wonderful. I once called for my step daughter and asked what I could do to help her.  They gave me guidance and I was once removed from the situation. They will help you get a game plan together and help you figure out what to do with the threats. I think they even provide you some guidance and contacts in your area to help you with all the other things regarding your seperation.

I am glad you are getting out. 

Please check back and let us know how it is going. There are a lot of good people here to support you and offer you advice as you go thru this.

• Options

I would for sure call a lawyer and file for legal separation...that way you're both protected no matter what happens.  I did this when my ex and I first split up...it granted that he had to pay child support and also that the kids would stay with me.  When we ended up filing for divorce, they just made the terms of the legal separation the terms of the divorce, so we didn't have to hash it all out again.  Not so say that this will lead to divorce, but leave yourself protected, just in case.  

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Best of luck to you and stay strong!!...your kids deserve a happy mommy (and daddy). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"