October 2011 Moms
Options

Excess drool = coughing?

For the past 2 weeks DS has had a cough. We took him to the pedi 2 weeks ago and saw an NP. She said it sounded like reflux. I was suspicious of this because well he shows zero other signs (rarely cries, has no problems eating, doesn't get upset if on back, doesn't show signs of pain, etc). We decided to try out the meds to see if they worked. Some days I felt like he coughed less and some days it seemed like the same so I am not sure they really did anything.

We had his 2 month appt this week and saw a Dr. who seemed surprised that she diagnosed reflux based on his cough. He told us to stop the meds and just said that DS was likely clearing his throat and it wasn't a big deal. 

Needless to say it still freaks me out whenever he coughs. I am pretty sure it is related to his excessive drool or spit up since those seem to come with the coughs. Does anyone else' baby do this? He doesn't seem bothered by it...I just hate it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Excess drool = coughing?

• Options
    sometimes DS will choke/cough on his drool, but it is random and isn't persistant.  it is strange that they would say reflux with no other symptoms.  is it still happening?  is he ok since you stopped the reflux meds?
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    DD coughs too. She also drools a lot so maybe that's the cause. I mentioned it to the pedi and she wasn't concerned. ETA: she doesn't cough all the time, but just occasionally. Is your LO coughing like one would if they had a cold?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejonnygurl76:
    sometimes DS will choke/cough on his drool, but it is random and isn't persistant.  it is strange that they would say reflux with no other symptoms.  is it still happening?  is he ok since you stopped the reflux meds?

The cough is still happening even though we stopped the meds. He does not really seem any different off the meds. It doesn't happen all the time. He coughs maybe 4 times a day? I don't know if that is considered persistent or not. It happens more at night. 

Part of me wants to keep pushing it with the pedi because it doesn't seem normal  but since he doesn't seem bothered by it, I don't know

• Options

imagemorsey2011:
    DD coughs too. She also drools a lot so maybe that's the cause. I mentioned it to the pedi and she wasn't concerned. ETA: she doesn't cough all the time, but just occasionally. Is your LO coughing like one would if they had a cold?

It doesn't sound like a cold cough. Meaning it doesn't sound like it comes from the chest and the Dr says his lungs are clear. He has had a stuffed up nose and bother DH and I had colds...maybe it just takes him longer to get over a cold since he is so little?

• Options
    Our guy coughs and sneezes.  He has since before we brought him home.  I've asked the Ped a couple of times about them and he said both times that babies just cough and sneeze.  They're new, little systems are just getting use to their environment.  DS has been drooling a lot lately, but I haven't seen an increase in coughing.  He still has a little cough at least once a day and sneezes a few times a day.
  • Options

imageSunburn19:
    Our guy coughs and sneezes.  He has since before we brought him home.  I've asked the Ped a couple of times about them and he said both times that babies just cough and sneeze.  They're new, little systems are just getting use to their environment.  DS has been drooling a lot lately, but I haven't seen an increase in coughing.  He still has a little cough at least once a day and sneezes a few times a day.

Okay, good to know that it can be normal. I googled it and found something that basically said "if you baby coughs before 4 months he/she is surely dying get to the ER ASAP!!!!!!" I realize it was a tad alamist but it still made me paranoid. Must step away from the googles. 

• Options
    imagekarinothing:

imagejonnygurl76:

The cough is still happening even though we stopped the meds. He does not really seem any different off the meds. It doesn't happen all the time. He coughs maybe 4 times a day? I don't know if that is considered persistent or not. It happens more at night. 

Part of me wants to keep pushing it with the pedi because it doesn't seem normal  but since he doesn't seem bothered by it, I don't know

DS does it 4-5 times a day but never at night, as long as your pedi listened to his chest and said he is fine then i wouldn't worry.  i would use a humidifier and prop his crib up on one side if you aren't already.  but if your gut is telling you it isn't normal then listen to it and bring him back to the pedi.  mother's instinct is always right--if nothing else you will have peace of mind.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    imagejonnygurl76:
    imagekarinothing:

imagejonnygurl76:

DS does it 4-5 times a day but never at night, as long as your pedi listened to his chest and said he is fine then i wouldn't worry.  i would use a humidifier and prop his crib up on one side if you aren't already.  but if your gut is telling you it isn't normal then listen to it and bring him back to the pedi.  mother's instinct is always right--if nothing else you will have peace of mind.

We do use a humidifer and have propped up his bassinet (not that he sleeps in it ha ha). Having others say that their baby coughs makes me feel better. I feel like I am just hyper paranoid about every little thing (FTM syndrome I suppose).

• Options
    My LO coughs during the day but I wasn't worried because figured it was due to the excessive drool.  It usually happens after she sees something she likes so I guess she inhales alittle spit as she is trying to coo and smile.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also keep in mind all the dust, fibers from their clothes and blankets, anything floating around in the air gets kind of stuck in their little noses and throats. They have to get it out somehow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"