Working Moms
Options

Back to work on Tuesday! Any advice?

After being on ML since August 19th and I going back to work next week! DS will be 16 weeks and I was very lucky to have as long of a leave as I did.

I am surprisingly not as emotional about it as I thought I would be, although obviously I wish I didn't have to be away from DS as long as I will be, I know everything will be fine in the end. He spent some time at his DC this week and he did so great, even smiled at his teacher when I brought him in the second day, so I think that helped me a lot feel better about bringing him.

I also have a unique situation because the DC is run by my mom, my sister is the pre-school teacher and both of her sons are there also. Since my mom is retiring soon she is training her assistant and so will be at my home with DS 2 days a week instead of at the center all 5 days.

I'm nervous I forgot how to do my job!!! Any first week back advice? Oh and I plan on pumping - I think this is my biggest worry! Just want to make sure that it works out so DS can still be breastfed.

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Back to work on Tuesday! Any advice?

• Options

You'll do fine!  It sounds like you're already in a good mind-set, and how lucky for your LO to be around family!

Make sure you stick to your pumping schedule.  I loaded up my iPod with movies to watch while I pump, but I like to watch videos of DS too.

Plan on getting up a little earlier in the morning, it takes you longer than you think to get ready and get out the door with LO in tow.

Good luck Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Meal plan, pack everything the night before and scroll down to "output" post and check out dallashorn's advice for pumping. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I forgot a meal plan!

And the slow cooker is your best friend.  It's exhausting having to cook once you're finally home, and you'll want to play with your LO.

I try to cook 3 meals on the weekends.  That gives me a night for leftovers, and maybe squeeze in another slow-cooker meal if I need to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I went back this week. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I get up at 6am, get ready for an hour, feed LO for 15 minutes, H then gets her dressed while I finish up and get everything ready to go.

Pumping - I notice it has been helpful to me to look at a picture of LO - it is weird, but it helps. I have the cutest photo of her on my desktop. I am thinking of buying the drop-in adapter for my pump so I only have to wash the nipples...or take two bottles to work to pump into and then combine them into the drop-ins and store that way.

LO adjusted really well to daycare. I was ready for some crazy nights. She is decreasing what she is drinking at daycare - 12oz on Tuesday to 7oz today. She seems to be taking more in in the evenings.

Meal planning is really important. I haven't started it yet, but when I get home from work I am hungry, LO is hungry, and I don't want to spend a long time figuring out what to cook. 

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options

thanks ladies!

meal planning is a great tip! I love my crock pot so I'm going to buy some stuff tomorrow so I can have dinners ready - also need more tupperware to store it!

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What a cute DS! I also returned at 4 months and I liked that length of maternity leave.  Just take it easy, give yourself some space to get the hang of everything, get enough sleep, prepare the night before and enjoy the evenings with your family.  At this stage, it's more important to have time to all play together then worry about a fancy dinner or an immaculate house. 

Also, I like to start a load of laundry in the morning, switch to dryer when I walk in the door, fold while watching television and put away when I get up the next day.  That way I'm on top of my laundry and it never piles up. 

• Options
    Good luck mama, you'll do fine!  Try to get your husband to help out wherever he can.  I pretty much do 100% of the work involved with taking care of LO after work (daycare p/u, feeding, pumping, feeding, pumping, play, bath, feeding, bedtime, etc.) so my husband now makes dinner every night, washes the bottles, walks the dog, and takes care of the laundrey.  If you can have everything ready the night before, that helps.  Also, with the pumping, after you figure out how many oz per bottle your LO drinks, make your bottle sizes at work while you're pumping.  In the beginning I was pumping into a bottle until it got full, then I'd cap it off and start the next one so when I got home that night or the next morning I was measuring out bottles.  Now I just cap them off once they reach 4oz (that's how much she drinks) so all I have to do that evening or the next night is put a nipple on them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The biggest stress when I went back to work was the pumping schedule, and that wasn't that bad. (I have a great goss who was very understanding when I would say I need to be late to a meeting, or leave somewhere early)

I got up a little earlier than I used to, so that I could shower and be mostly ready by the time DD got up, and then when H got up I would nurse, he would diaper and dress.

Lots of dinner made on weekends, so it was just a warm during the week.  H worked late most nights, so it was just me for dinner.  And at night I would pack her bag for the next day.

Good luck - it's hard, but worth it! 

Proud Mom to Sharkey - 2/17/11 8lbs 7 oz
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"