Food Allergy

Cheese/Yogurt ok, but issues with Whole Cow's Milk?

Is anyone dealing with this particular issue?  My son is fine eating dairy-based products (dairy based formula - baby's only, cheese, yogurt, milk in baked goods), but the minute I give him whole cow's milk, his appetite goes in the dumps, gets very gassy, and has some mucus in his stool.

Is it possible to just have a whole milk intolerance?  Do I just keep him on the toddler's formula (expensive) or branch out to other milks like rice, etc?  Is lactaid an option?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Cheese/Yogurt ok, but issues with Whole Cow's Milk?

• I would try the Lactaid (check with your pedi about fat content etc. first- but he should be able to get enough fats from his food without whole milk).  It sounds like an intolerence to me but it could be the lactose and not the milk itself. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son reacts the same.  He can have yogurt (including whole milk), cheese, cottage cheese, etc but cannot tolerate straight cow's milk or butter in large quantities.  He also gets mucousy poops and acts like his tummy hurts.

At 9 months he was diagnosed severely allergic to all dairy.  We started trialing him at 16 months after his allergy test came back with an indication that he was outgrowing it.  He's now able to handle the above foods with no reaction. 

FTR:  We use a mixture of soy, almond and coconut milk.  I dont' worry so much about his calcium since he's eating cheese and yogurt daily.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely try the Lactaid milk.  My son is allergic to dairy, but I have a lactose intolerance.  I can eat cheese, yogurt, and things with dairy in them, but cannot tolerate cow's milk and ice cream.  So, to me, he sounds lactose intolerant.  The Lactaid milk (Albertsons has a great tasting store brand too) tastes great and I have no problems digesting it.  Depending on your son's age, you could also try giving him a chewable Lactaid tablet (I would start with 2) before drinking the whole milk and see if that helps.

GL!!

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • We're the same - he can eat dairy except for WCM. For some products, he gets a little contact rash or hives only where it touched the skin a lot. Allergist says this is a good sign he'll outgrow just not sure when. He drinks soy btw. I'd check with your pedi or allergist before experimenting with milks though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"