C-sections

exercise after c-section

I'm 6-weeks post c-section and anxious to start exercising again.  I am a runner - 15+ miles a week - and I would like to start running again, along with starting an ab routine.  My PP appt is Tuesday, so I will talk to my Dr/Midwife, but I was wondering what everyone did to ease into their post-c-section workouts.  Right now, I am just walking 1-3 miles/day.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: exercise after c-section

• I'm an exercisaholic. I excersised through all 3 of my pregnancies. I ran into some gross complications after the 1st pregancy running at about 6 weeks. Big clots came out of me, the size of golf balls. I felt major pain etc. All of my pregnancies I beat myself up about not being back into shape within a couple months.

Honestly, I'm finally back in the swing of exercising now. 9 mos later. This has been the same each time. I truly believe that your body will tell you how much you can do. Right now is not the time to push your body to the max. The last thing you want is to be held back by an injury. Listen to your body and don't stress. Do those hills walking with the stroller and be proud that you're out and about at 6 weeks pp. 

A c/s is huge surgery and you will be yourself soon. Trust that your body needs some time to recover.

• Great question, I plan to ask my md this week specifically about ab work outs. Since it hurts to sneeze I am guessing abs may be a few more weeks out...
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Loading the player...
  • I've had a remarkably easy recovery from my c/s so take that into consideration when I answer....even I was surprised with how easily and quickly I bounced back.  I've been walking nearly everyday since I was discharged.  I got cleared to resume my regular workouts (using common sense, of course) at my 6 wk pp appt.  

Im having a hard time getting to the gym and my LO is a wee bit demanding so I haven't done more than some Netflix yoga, lunges, squats and push-ups against the wall at home.

My abs are incredibly weak...duh...and yoga has been the hardest so far.  Up dog, crocodile, etc...are really taxing. I'm doing modified poses for now.  

Im a runner as well.  About 15-20 miles/ week in the summer and 5-10 in the winter.  I havent run yet but since I didn't run during my pregnancy, I can only imagine its going to be awful when I start again. 

I would say you are on the right course with the walking....you will bounce back in no time.  :) 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"