Special Needs

Haberman bottles

We're using haberman bottles for our DD with a cleft palate.  These things are very expensive and we are realizing that the 2 we have are already tearing too much to use after 3 weeks.  Is it normal to go through these so fast?  Are there any cheaper alternatives?  I found the nipples on amazon for like $15, are they anywhere cheaper? If we're going through a nipple in a week and a half when she's a newborn, we'll be spending a fortune over the next year!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Haberman bottles

• Have you talked to your cleft team about getting them from the hospital and having your insurance pay for them if they will cover it? We tried the haberman and it didn't work for us so we have been using the meadjohnson cleft feeder.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • I've only used them as an RN in the NICU but they should last longer than that! I wonder if the bottle brush you are cleaning them with is too abrasive? Definitely talk to your Pedi / ENT team about trying to get it covered through insurance since it is a medical need. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • also check facebook for the medical supply exchange.  it's where people can share excess medical supplies.  people seem to always have lots of feeding supplies.
  • I wish I had advice, we used the pigeon bottles and the nipples thinned out fairly quickly. We received some from the craniofacial team and purchased the rest online. I did not find the nipples to be too expensive but this was almost 6 years ago. The bottles were quite expensive. Have you tried a regular nipple and put a slit at the top? We use to to that to make it a y cut for easier feeding. I would also hand wash the nipples. But I do think they are made much of much thinner material than store bought and they actually worked best for my son.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • imageadge1119:
    also check facebook for the medical supply exchange.  it's where people can share excess medical supplies.  people seem to always have lots of feeding supplies.

Do you have a link to this?  I'm not sure what this is. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used them for our LO when he was first born bc he was having feeding issues....this was before he was dx with laryngeal cleft.  We did not go through them as fast as you are.  We did have to purchase the rest after we were sent home from hospital (after birth) bc we didnt have a dx.  After LO was dx with a laryngeal cleft he needed thickened drinks...so we switch to Dr. Brown with Y cut nipple using Simply Thick thickener.  Sorry...I know this isnt much help.  GL! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"