Natural Birth

Introduction and Insurance Vent

I recently found out I'm pregnant with my first baby. We are both so excited to embark on this journey. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and be inspired. I have always known I want the most natural birth experience that is possible. I had the pleasure of watching my mom deliver my younger brother and sister at home as well as my aunt deliver her last baby at home.  

In talking with my husband, we decided a birth center would be a good option for our first baby. So a few days ago, I called my insurance company to get a list of birth centers that would be covered in the area so I could set up my prenatal care. Ironically the first thing the customer service representative said is, "we don't cover home births."  Go figure they through that out there before I even ask! She then went on to tell me, the closest approved birth center was 3 hours away. I live in a large city and there are plenty of birth centers here in the city. 

So my options now are hospital birth covered 90% after deductible or birth center birth which would be covered at 60% after deductible (since it would be an 'out of network' provider). 

Does anyone have any advice for me? Do insurance companies ever make exceptions in these types of circumstances? Thanks in advance for any advice or words of support :-)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Introduction and Insurance Vent

• No advice for you unfortunately. Just wanted to say congrats and gl with your whole experience. Dealing with insurance sucks so bad. It's terrible they set the framework for our choices. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Something to consider is that birth center births are typically significantly cheaper than hospital births. I think our birth center charges around $4500. Going off of that price, if you're covered 60%, that's $1800 out-of-pocket. Still a lot of money, but depending on your deductible, if might cheaper. I would find out exactly what the birth centers near you charge, and go from there. Insurance sucks sometimes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hospitals aren't that bad. I had both my kids at hospitals and did them both naturally and they were wonderful for me. I know they have a bad reputation for being little baby factories, but before you count it out, maybe tour it. It might just be as good as the birth center. And you'd save a lot of money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is what is so frustrating about our current insurance system.  A birthing center generally costs less than a hospital birth but they cover the hospital birth at a higher percentage than the birthing center or all birthing centers end up being out of network.  It's the same with a doula, my insurance won't cover my doula, which is much cheaper than an epidural but the epidural would be covered.   Ugh.

That said I think you have to look at your situatiion and decide what the best is for you.  I'd call around and see what the cost for a birthing center is and figure out how much you'd have to pay and then decide if you're willing to pay that amount.   For us it wasn't worth it but I really like my OB and had a pretty good experience with our hospital last time.   If you do decide to go the hospital route you could look into using a midwife practice associated with a hospital.  Good luck.

• Thanks everyone for your input- it's helpful to be able to vent! I don't think delivering at my local hospital will necessarily be a bad thing. I had a close friend deliver there (naturally) and they were pretty supportive. There are plenty of midwives to choose from and they have big tubs that you can labor in (but not deliver). I just find it frustrating that my insurance is basically deciding for me. It's more the principal of it that bothers me. I am going to call around to the birth centers on Monday and try to compare costs. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you already know of one that you think you might like. Go in and ask them if they will consider being part of the network of your provider.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • because it's the only thing my insurance will cover, i also have to have the baby in a hospital. however, there is a group of midwives that deliver in a hospital near me that is covered. i think it's a really great combo since i'm a FTM, i have the peace of mind being in a hospital setting but i can get the natural birth experience i really want. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"