Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

In no hurry to start solids

Anyone else in no hurry? Why all these posts about solids at 4 months (or earlier)? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: In no hurry to start solids

• Options
    No, I'm with you. No hurry here at all. I'd prefer to wait till 6mo, but I'll discuss with the pedi at the 4mo appt.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    I'm holding off. I am trying to go off of O's que and she doesn't have much interest in food/us eating quite yet. I don't think there is anything that magically happens at 6 months, though. Some babies are ready earlier and some just aren't!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No hurry here. Pedi said at our 4 month appoitment to wait and that is what I plan to do.
  • Options
    Nina will be 5 months tomorrow and we aren't in any hurry.  Babies don't need anything but breastmilk or formula until at least 6 months anyway.  She is interested in our food and she can sit up but it isn't just about outward signs.  I want her to do well when we start them.  I see a lot of posts of people who started early saying how their babies hate it or it isn't going well.  Well maybe they just weren't ready yet.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We've always planned on waiting til 6 mo... Honestly I didn't know people did it earlier til reading it on TB..

If pedi says we can try cereal at 4 mo. I will discuss it with DH. 

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    I wasn't in any hurry, and my plan was to start around 5 months. At my 4 month appointment, my pedi strongly encouraged me to start. I have to say that LO did have all the signs of being ready, but I was still hesitant. I also questioned the fact that the pedi suggested that it might help my LO gain weight because as far as I have researched, solids really shouldnt be enough to add weight at this point. Anyway, I waited 2 weeks before i started (around 4 1/2 months.) I am ashamed to say that The Bump is what really influenced me. It got me excited and curious to try. I would have to say that my LO was definitely ready, and he is thriving off solids. He actually is gaining weight (also due to formula supplementation), and he loves to eat. Formula (and a little BM) is still his primary nutrition, but I think that I made the right decision for my LO. There is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting until 6 months though. Nothing at all.
  • Options

I started trying at 4 months only because my older daughter ate everything in sight at four months old.  However, #2 wasn't interested and I would dive* it another a week or two later and still nothing.  I just kept watching her cues and it wasn't until about a week ago that she really started nailing everything that isn't nailed down!!  She's even tried some of whatever I am eating - yogurt, broccoli, cooked carrots.  She is a monster.  Your LO will let you know when ready.

*EDIT: give

• Options

I EBF and the WHO recommends doing this exclusively until 6 months. At 6 months I will determine if it's the right time to move to solids. 

Im in no hurry to get him on solids. My milk provides more nutrients than any rice cereal could provide. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In no rush here . . .
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Options
    With my first two I waited until 6 months and am doing the same this time.
  • Options

Me either. Her doctor said to wait until 6 months, since she's thriving on just BM. 

I will say, DD has been grabbing at my food in the last few weeks. I don't think she really knows what it is though. I used to eat with her sitting on my lap, I don't think I'm going to be able ot do it much longer without her pawing at my dinner.

• Options

Nope, no rush. I'll ask her doctor about it at her six month appt in a few weeks.

I'm avoiding those solid food diapers as long as I can.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Our pedi told us to wait till dd was 6 months so that is our plan. 
  • Options
    No way. I waited for my other two to be 6 months before starting and I intend to milk it this time around too given that it's our last baby.   I don't want him to grow up too fast.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We'll start at 6 months, but honestly, I wish we could wait even longer.  I just don't have time.  DH works nights.  I get one hour with DS when I get home from work (DH is already gone when I get home) and the last thing I need to add into an already fussy, packed hour is solids....plus washing bottles, pump parts, blah blah blah.   DS goes to bed really early too so it's just going to be a mess!  I am so not interested in starting solids!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I was in no rush at all and then at our 4 month appointment our pedi strongly suggested solids. I wasn't suprised though. LO was 20 lbs at the 4 month appointment, he has had two teeth since 13 weeks old (and is now cutting 2 more), he has been grabbing at food and showing a ton of interest since he was 3 1/2 months old, and was nursing every 2.5 hours through the night......the day we started solids he slept 5 hours straight and within a week was sleeping 8-10 hours straight. I was so nervous about it and I have been such an EBF nazi that I never thought I'd be one to do early solids. But he has been far ahead of the game in everything, physically and cognitively so I guess it doesn't suprise me that he was queing me for solids earlier. It has been amazing for us. He loves them, I make everything homemade and we all have fun with it. He is much happier now that he is sleeping longer stretches....and so are we!  

If your baby is not showing clear signs and everything is going well with BF/FF ing than I would not rush it either. I think some people rush becasue they are desperate for sleep. I was fine with the constant nursing until the Pedi said, "He wants to sleep as much as you do, he needs longer stretches than 2.5 hours too, plus he can sit on his own and has teeth- I don't see a problem with it"  I was apprehensive but went with it and I'm so happy I did!

• Options
    imagestarz57182:

Nope, no rush. I'll ask her doctor about it at her six month appt in a few weeks.

I hear ya! We tried cereal with DD at 4 months, no interest. We tried again at 5 months and she took right to it. Drinks more formula than ever and eats 3 baby meals a day. Solid diapers are much stinkier and seem to be more in quantity. ;) 

• Options
    No rush here! I will continue to ebf until 6 months unless i see solid cues that he is ready and wanting/needing more.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagereginagina:
    imagestarz57182:

I hear ya! We tried cereal with DD at 4 months, no interest. We tried again at 5 months and she took right to it. Drinks more formula than ever and eats 3 baby meals a day. Solid diapers are much stinkier and seem to be more in quantity. ;) 

Nooooo!!! My baby is already a pooper, I don't want it to get worse! lol Seriously, this kid poops at least twice a day, usually more. Both when she was EBF and now that she's FF. I don't need more quantity!  

• Options
    Waiting until 6 months here. 4 mos is way too early IMO.
  • Options
    I always thought I would wait but our dr. recommended it and he loves it!! We are just doing cereal until 5 1/2 months per our dr. instructions. My guy has been sitting up on his own for over a month and had all the other signs or I would have waited... I don't think that there is anything wrong with waiting or with starting it earlier as long as your baby shows they are ready. I have heard that if baby shows the signs and you wait to long it can be just as bad as starting it before they are ready for it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"