3rd Trimester

Should I buy new baby bottles? (2 years old)

I have bought new nipples and was planning on reusing my baby bottles (Dr. Brown's), but now that I brought them upstairs from storage I'm hesitating.  I was looking online and as long as they're BPA free (they are), I should just replace the nipples, but what do you think?

I breastfed for 12 months, but DS was in daycare 5 days a week using bottles, so they did get quite a bit of use during the week.  I would wash them daily in the dishwasher.  He is going to be 2 and didn't use bottles past about 10 months (he switched to sippy cups then).

Thoughts? 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I buy new baby bottles? (2 years old)

• We only replaced nipples on our bottles.  As long as the bottles appear to be in good shape it seems like a huge waste to just throw them out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've heard that you're supposed to replace the whole thing because bacteria will still grow in plastic.  I think the only ones you're really "allowed" to keep are the glass ones.

Now, as for whether or not I'll follow that advice... We'll see. :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the bpa free plastic dr browns also and I am just buying new nipples. We have a few different brands (avent, medela, born free) that I will just get new nipples and see what works best. I'm hoping not to spend the money on new bottles if I don't have to.
  • I think you just need to sanitize them really when and you'll be fine.
  • I would replace them, but I am pretty particular. I think the only bottles I would actually reuse after such a long time are the glass ones.
  • I am reusing mine.  I just bought new nipples and am sterizing everything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't buy the whole "bacteria will still grow in them" BS. I remember in high school we were lectured about bacteria growing in water bottles (like the Aquafina ones you buy at a gas station) from reusing those, but that's from not washing them. As long as they're washed, there really shouldn't be an issue. Baby bottles are made to withstand high heat and all that stuff, so I would wash them and sanitize them, but I wouldn't buy new.
  • DD was 2 years almost exactly when DS was born.  We washed and sterilized her old bottles and used them for him.  We just bought new nipples.  Well, we did buy a few new ones cuz I formula-fed and wanted to have a lot of bottles to make them up in advance.
    imageimageimage
  • Our Dr. Brown's bottles are 2.5 years old too and I just bought new nipples.  I considered trying a different brand for kicks but when I saw bottles cost $18.99 for a two pack, the decision was pretty easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

***Nestie Bestie w/ TheDeatons***

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• If they have heavy wear, replace them.  If not just sanitize them well in boiling water to kill anything.
  • DD is 7 on Wed. and we're using the bottles we got when she was a baby with new nipples for DS of course...  Save the money, there are other things you'll need to get/replace...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Buy new nipples and use the bottles. Unless you boxed them up dirty it seems insane to buy new ones.
  • So... I talked to my pediatrician's nurse line and I'm buying new ones.  They said that I could use the old ones unless the bottles looked cloudy.  The reason that I was even worried, posted here, and called was because of the way they looked (and yes they were cleaned before I put them away).  So they recommended doing new ones, but said I was probably ok to use the old ones.

A new infant pack (two 4 oz bottles and three 8 oz bottles) was only $20 on Diapers.com, so I figure why not just get new ones.  I had 9 bottles for DS, so I'll start with these ones and buy more when she goes to daycare and I need more (to spread out expenses).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"