June 2011 Moms
Options

Formula users - Nursery water?

The whole Enfamil formula recall issue got me wondering about something.  One of the stories I read said that they were also testing the nursery water used to mix with the formula and I hadn't thought about an issue with the water.  If you use nursery water, do you do anything special with it before mixing it, boil it, heat it, etc?  I used some last weekend at my parents as they live in the country and have well water.  At home we just mix with tap water.

BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!

Re: Formula users - Nursery water?

• Options

I do not use nursery water, we just use the regular bottled water that we drink. However, I do know some people who insist on boiling any water that they use for their childrens bottles. I personally do not think it is that big of a deal. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We use nursery water and, no, we don't do anything special with it. The jug sits out on the counter at room temp and then we just mix in the room temp water with the powder.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told there is no difference between nursery water and regular drinking water.
  • Options
    imagecourtneyjean7:

I do not use nursery water, we just use the regular bottled water that we drink. However, I do know some people who insist on boiling any water that they use for their childrens bottles. I personally do not think it is that big of a deal. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

I can't imagine having time to do that especially when a baby is screaming.

• Options
    image62406:
    imagecourtneyjean7:

They boil large amounts ahead of time and then put it in the fridge. There is no way I'd have time to do that tho! I think making DS baby food takes long enough!

• Options
    imagecourtneyjean7:
    image62406:
    imagecourtneyjean7:

They boil large amounts ahead of time and then put it in the fridge. There is no way I'd have time to do that tho! I think making DS baby food takes long enough!

I hear that!

• Options
    Ive used Gerber water before and we didnt do anything to it first. It  honestly never occured to me that it might need it. we have a filter on our tap and we use that.
  • Options

imagethomas2013:
    I was told there is no difference between nursery water and regular drinking water.

What kind of drinking water? Water out of the sink or bottled water? Some bottled waters aren't purified and they are suppose to be avoided if a child is under 1 year old. I'm not sure why, but I'll admit when DH buys water that is not purified, I still use it in Nolans bottes. However, we live in the middle of the country in good ol WI and nobody drinks water out of the sinks where I live. The water comes out orangeish-brown and is full of rust, so in that respect I definitely think there is a difference between nursery water and water out of a sink (here in WI at least).

• Options
    I just use tap water.  I thought that nursery water was supposed to be good right from the jug?  I can't imagine spending money on water that you would still have to boil!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We bought a Brita, so we just put tap water into it and then use the filtered Brita water for their bottles at room temp.
  • Options

I think the point of nursery water is that it is suppose to be safe, so you do no need to boil it. Just like bottled water that costs over a dollar a bottle is suppose to be better and safer/healthier, well, it turns out that isn't always the case. I wouldn't bother buying nursery water if I had to boil it. I've used it, but only when my sink broke.

Boiling water is recommended for babies 3 months and under. I totally understand the recommendation. Newborns are very susceptible to any toxin or pathogen. I didn't do it. I actually feel a little bad for not doing it :( I was so overwhelmed when LO was a newborn, and I just used cold tap water (cold water is less likely to have lead, if there is any in the pipes). Brita water filters, unless they have improved in the last few years, only filter out large molecules/particles. I never invested in one for this reason. I did a lot of research, and there were a few for around the same price that did a much much better job.  Mostly b/c my ex-husband was a doctor, and very finicky about this stuff.

Many of us, me included, just luck out. We are all so lucky that we never have been exposed to water that had coliform, or something equally as deadly to an infant. I feel incredibly bad for the parents that lost their beautiful little baby. It makes me appreciate what I have. Sorry for the rambling Stick out tongue

• Options

imagelovebugkim:
    We bought a Brita, so we just put tap water into it and then use the filtered Brita water for their bottles at room temp.

Exactly this. Nursery water is silly. If you have a well any bottled water will work.

• Options
    For where I live - rural/suburbs - pedi said after 3 months plain old tap water is just fine.  It is more regulated than bottled water (Poland Spring, Aquafina, jug "Spring Water", etc.).  I was also told that the added fluoride in the water was good for baby's teeth.  I boiled for the first 3 months.
  • Options
    When we were discharged from the NICU, they told us that tap and botteled water were not sterile enough to use while making formula. They never put a time frame on it so I continue to do it now. I don't find it any trouble at all. I typically fill my tea kettle at the end of the day and let it boil for awhile. I have plenty for the next day's bottles. I have used filtered water from the fridge or bottled water in a pinch, but I perfer using the boiled water.
  • Options

I had no idea that I sould stop boiling the water after 3 months!  Although like the PP said I just put extra water in the Kettle in the am for my coffee so it really isn't an extra step for me. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use regular bottle water that we drink. Our pedi actually told us to start using tap water for her sippy cup when she eats solids. Since she has 2 teeth, she wants her to get the flouride that's in the tap water. MH wants us to use tap water for all her bottles now too but for some reason I'm just not comfortable with it........not sure why.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagecourtneyjean7:

imagethomas2013:

What kind of drinking water? Water out of the sink or bottled water? Some bottled waters aren't purified and they are suppose to be avoided if a child is under 1 year old. I'm not sure why, but I'll admit when DH buys water that is not purified, I still use it in Nolans bottes. However, we live in the middle of the country in good ol WI and nobody drinks water out of the sinks where I live. The water comes out orangeish-brown and is full of rust, so in that respect I definitely think there is a difference between nursery water and water out of a sink (here in WI at least).

I use Zephyrhills  drinking water. It's a large jug with a spout and works great on the counter.

• Options
    I buy jugs of drinking water and keep it at room temperature. I use it straight from the jug.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use nursery water because it seems safer than tap and isn't very expensive. The jug says its purified from heat, and has added minerals and fluride.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My pediatrician said to only use nursery water or tap water because they both have fluoride unlike regular bottled water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagePurdueMama14:
    We use nursery water and, no, we don't do anything special with it. The jug sits out on the counter at room temp and then we just mix in the room temp water with the powder.

This...but I just use "drinking water" from the grocery. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"