June 2011 Moms

Skipping crawling

Anyone else think their LO is going to skip crawling and go straight to walking?  John gets up on his hands and knees and then starts trying to kick his feet under him like he wants to stand.  Of course he can't stand or pull himself up yet, and he gets really frustrated about that.  The pedi told me that since is a bigger baby (11pounds at birth and a whopping 27 pounds at 7 months) that he probably wouldn't crawl.  I don't know why, but this makes me sad.  I was looking forward to watching him crawl.

Just wondering if anyone else's LO may skip crawling too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Skipping crawling

• Hmmm, I never heard that bigger babies probably won't crawl. I get the feeling that DD is going to skip it too. But I do have quite a big girl, lol. She was almost 23 pounds at her 6 month appointment! So maybe your pedi is on to something. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Holy cr@p! 11lbs at birth?!? Whoa momma! lol Anyhow, since Martin HATES being on his tummy, it wouldn't surprise if he went straight to pulling himself up on things instead of crawling. We're not even close to that yet though lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Macy isn't that big, but I think she might skip crawling.  She hates being on her tummy and rolls immediately.  She hasn't made anything close to an attempt to crawl.
  • Kaydence isn't that big but I think she may skip crawling. My nephew is 30 pounds (at 10 months) and he just started crawling.
  • If possible, try to encourage it. Crawling is really good for the development of their fine motor skills and coordination later in life. My friend is a pediatric occupational therapist. She gave me this big lecture on it. lol. It's not the end of the world if they don't crawl. She was just talking about the benefits of it.
  • imagekimbo1216:
    If possible, try to encourage it. Crawling is really good for the development of their fine motor skills and coordination later in life. My friend is a pediatric occupational therapist. She gave me this big lecture on it. lol. It's not the end of the world if they don't crawl. She was just talking about the benefits of it.

That's funny you say that. My mom says I didn't crawl- just walked early and I'm terribly uncoordinated. I am horrible at all sports.  However, I'm proof that children who skip crawling turn out just fine. Just no Olympic hopes. 

My aunt works in special education and was voicing the same things to us about crawling being important developmentally and to encourage it. .  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Finley could. She hates being on her tummy still.
  • imageamanda1680:
    Macy isn't that big, but I think she might skip crawling.  She hates being on her tummy and rolls immediately.  She hasn't made anything close to an attempt to crawl.

exactly!

• imageamberpro:

imagekimbo1216:
    If possible, try to encourage it. Crawling is really good for the development of their fine motor skills and coordination later in life. My friend is a pediatric occupational therapist. She gave me this big lecture on it. lol. It's not the end of the world if they don't crawl. She was just talking about the benefits of it.

That's funny you say that. My mom says I didn't crawl- just walked early and I'm terribly uncoordinated. I am horrible at all sports.  However, I'm proof that children who skip crawling turn out just fine. Just no Olympic hopes. 

My aunt works in special education and was voicing the same things to us about crawling being important developmentally and to encourage it. .  

I was taking my first steps at 8 months and walking by 9 and also never crawled, but I am pretty coordinated.  IDK if there's really a correlation between those things.  Or size (I was a peanut). 

With that said, DS has pushed up on his hands and knees a couple times now but definitely prefers standing than tummy time.  Who knows what he will do - I'm just scared for him being mobile at all!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A pretty much skipped crawling, she had no need for it since she rolled everywhere. She learned to crawl the week she turned 9 months. That week she also pulled herself to stand. At that point she had no use for crawling. I will say that the girl is a clutz.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Of course I post that DS has no interest in crawling, and you know what he has been doing since?  Getting up on his hands and knees and rocking.  He loves to prove me wrong.  Ha. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't be surprised if J did. He tolerates his tummy for brief periods now, but just does Not get it. He "swims" and flails.

However, he Loves to stand in our arms (and can support his weight on his legs without collapsing). Just the other day he held himself standing up, with his hands on the ottoman, for a couple seconds. Eek. I do wish he would crawl, I was looking forward to him doing it too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"