Natural Birth
Options

Midwife Consultation

Hello all,

This is my 1st time posting here and I have a few questions for you ladies. I've always been interested in having a natural water birth (since before I can remember), and after having a few visits with my Dr. office it has really pushed me toward finding a midwife. I really want that one on one support and natural experience to enjoy with my DH and new baby.

After meeting with the 3 midwives (they have their own practice here in San Diego) I am so inspired! Not only is it WAY cheaper but I felt an instant connection to these ladies and they...really...listened to me. I didn't feel rushed or silly because of the questions that I asked. I didnt feel like a dollar sign...I felt supported.

To make a long story short...No one in my family has ever done this and I am a little nervous. This is something that I really do want and I would like to hear some success stories.

How did your experience go with your midwife? Was there ever a time where you regretted not going to the hospital?

Sorry this is long...This is just my 1st baby and DH and I really want to experience the immediate bond with our baby.

Thanks for reading :) 

Re: Midwife Consultation

• Options

My choice to have a midwife was honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. So thankful we went that direction with our first! I knew that I wanted to go as natural as possible because I had heard a lot of negative stories about how much inducing hurts, and my mom had 4 c sections, so I wanted to do everything I could to avoid that outcome if I could. I was originally researching doula's but couldn't afford it, however in my search I found out that here in vancouver (canada) midwives are covered by healthcare! hooray. 

It was and is such an awesome experience every visit I have with my midwives. I don't like medical things... like I have a fear of needles, and a typical 'doctors office' makes me feel panicky. Her office is just like a nice living room, we sit on a comfy couch to talk and do the appointment, there is an exam table and medical 'stuff' but its all carefully hidden away in nice cabinets or behind curtains.  Love it!! 

In british columbia things are a bit different, midwives are exactly like a doctor in terms of all things related to pregnancy and baby, they can send out for lab tests, write perscriptions, and have equal hospital privileges... which means I was in a hospital and will be again (just cus we are renting and I feel awkward doing a home birth in a place we don't own.) I would describe the birth of my son as gentle and peaceful. No I haven't blocked out bad memories haha. The room was quiet as I pushed, just the sound of my friends voice reading bible verses to me... and my yelling LOL, but that is normal, caused by the effort and work of labour, not by pain. I was never even offered any type of pain releif until I was getting stitched after.. partly cus things were so fast, but I didn't need them anyway. I was home, with my midwife, until I was 4-5 cm and by the time we arrived I was ready to push. They also came to our home for 3 weeks after birth to do all our check ups and then we finished off our time with them in office again. (to age 6 weeks. ) I was SOOOO sad to have to transfer back into the regular medical system again, I have good doctors, but its just not the same!

My midwives spent as much time with me as I needed at each appointment, gave me hugs, dealt with my irrational fears, and were there for us in the hardest time of all, the first week when my son was losing weight rapidly and nursing wasn't going well.  I would NOT have been able to breast feed my son to age 2 (or at all)  if it hadn't been for their invaluable support. I cannot say enough how thankful I am for them and what a great expereince it was! I know girls who've done both routes... never once have I heard regret for choosing a midwife!

As to being at home/birth center vs. hospital. I read a lot before labour and got totally freaked out about going to the hospital haha.. I was reading books from the 70's when obviously things were much worse in terms of labour practices. I was so scared, I became totally convinced that a home birth was a much safer, much better healthier choice to make. However, we were renting as I said and my sis in laws all had good expereinces at my hospital so I decided to go ahead with it anyway, and it was fine. I would still love to try a home birth with at least one of my babies though. I know that it is equally safe, and since many hospitals have bad birth policies in place still for various reasons (like you have to have an IV, or must stay in bed, or can't eat in labour) I think mostly it's better. Midwives spend so much time studying normal birth, that when something is wrong they can see it a mile away... plus they have all the life saving equipment right there with them. I wish I could have had a water birth!! (I was too fast, wouldn't have had time to fill the pool) Hope it all works out for you!!

Ha sorry this is so long, as you can see I'm a little passionate :) 

• Options

I am due in July/Aug with my first baby as well and am planning a home water birth with a midwife.  I love the midwife experience so far.  They are very respecful and supportive, and act as though they're there to help me.  NOT how I'm used to being treated by doctors. 

I was actually present at a good friend's home birth recently with the same midwife.  The whole event was smooth and peaceful.  She labored in a birth tub but got out for the actual delivery.  She did have a whole host of people present (kids, friends, husband, photographer...), where I don't think I'll want anyone except the midwife (who brings an assistant) and my husband there.  It was her fourth child, and second home birth, so she was reasonably confident about the process.  I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to watch a home birth first hand.

No one in my family has ever done anything like this either, and one of my biggest fears about my pregnancy is facing criticism from family members.  I think my biggest argument is that few in my family have managed to have a natual birth either (my mom had three c-sections, my MIL had one, and my step-MIL had two), and I think the home birth gives me the best chances of having a natural birth.  The other problem, is that the nearest hospital with maternity services is an hour away.  I think that makes a better case for a home birth - why go anywhere if I don't have to (and risk halting labor with the location change - as a few of my friends have experienced)?  But I'm sure certain family members will worry about the "what-if" situations and travel time in that case.  We do have a hospital and ER a couple blocks away, but they closed the maternity ward a couple years ago and no longer keep an anesthesiologist on staff.

I have a couple friends who meekly went along with what their doctors suggested and later bitterly regretted it.  I have yet to meet anyone who has regretted trying the home birth or birth center alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"