June 2011 Moms
Options

If your baby is on Zantac (clicky poll)

LO has had issues with constipation since he started solids. But this also coincides with when he started Zantac (since we started a small amount of solids early so that he would take his medicine). His NP said that constipation isn't a side effect for Zantac but I'm starting to have my doubts. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of the other Zantac babies have constipation too. So, if your LO is on Zantac, how often does he/she typically poop? [Poll]

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013

Re: If your baby is on Zantac (clicky poll)

• Options
    No constipation issues here. I would contribute any to his formula and how thick DS Dr has us mix it. 
    **February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    Been on Zantac since 4 weeks and Prevacid + Zantac since 12ish weeks and no constipation issues for him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I said once a day, but it varies...sometimes every other, at most, it was 3 days between. He started Zantac around 6 weeks old, and at the time, he poops more often (several times a day).

What solids is your LO eating? When he does poop, is it hard? Or is it just length of time between poop?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I didn't vote, but we had DD on Zantac for awhile but it wasn't really working, we had no pooping issues, then went to previcid solutabs and her poop became harder but it didn't seem to bother her so Dr. wasn't concerned.  Then they stopped making her solutabs so we went back to Zantac, and then just stopped because she started throwing up the medicine no matter how we gave it to her.
  • Options

DS has been on Zantac since 4 weeks. We started solids at 4 months and he went from pooping every few days (but never uncomfortable - it was just what he did!) to 2-3 times a day. It's more firm - like the consistency of PB (I know, gross).

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    She's been on it since she was 6 weeks and put at least2 or 3 times a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLauraOTR:

I said once a day, but it varies...sometimes every other, at most, it was 3 days between. He started Zantac around 6 weeks old, and at the time, he poops more often (several times a day).

What solids is your LO eating? When he does poop, is it hard? Or is it just length of time between poop?

2 weeks ago his NP told us to give him only green beans, spinach, broccoli, peaches, apricots, plums or prunes. She also said that the issues could potentially be coming from me making my own baby food and a high starch content in the fresh food (Hmm). I decided it couldn't hurt to give the store-bought baby food a go, but could only find green beans, peaches and prunes (the spinach and broccoli had added starches like rice or potatoes). So that's all he's been eating for the last 2 weeks. The poop isn't hard (peanut butter consistency) but he often goes 4+ days between poops. I thought, based on what people have said here that it's ok as long as he's not uncomfortable and the poop isn't hard, but his NP said to give him a glycerin suppository every 2 days if he doesn't go on his own. I'm not comfortable with that being a long-term solution so I'm trying to get him to poop more! He gets a full jar of prunes almost everyday and still doesn't go!

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    imagechuicafina:
    imageLauraOTR:

2 weeks ago his NP told us to give him only green beans, spinach, broccoli, peaches, apricots, plums or prunes. She also said that the issues could potentially be coming from me making my own baby food and a high starch content in the fresh food (Hmm). I decided it couldn't hurt to give the store-bought baby food a go, but could only find green beans, peaches and prunes (the spinach and broccoli had added starches like rice or potatoes). So that's all he's been eating for the last 2 weeks. The poop isn't hard (peanut butter consistency) but he often goes 4+ days between poops. I thought, based on what people have said here that it's ok as long as he's not uncomfortable and the poop isn't hard, but his NP said to give him a glycerin suppository every 2 days if he doesn't go on his own. I'm not comfortable with that being a long-term solution so I'm trying to get him to poop more! He gets a full jar of prunes almost everyday and still doesn't go!

Why are you only allowed to give those foods? Honestly, I'd be wary of the advice you're getting, and the fact that they are treating constipation when his poops are not hard. And every 2 days? I've always been told that a week to 10 days can be considered normal, and that if the poop is still soft when it does come out, it is NOT constipation. Sounds like you are giving the side eye already, b/c of the comment about starch. You might want to go find a 2nd opinion....even if it's just someone else in the same practice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"