September 2011 Moms
Options

XP-LO won't take bottle

Hi,

A little background: I started out giving my LO a bottle of BM after every other feeding to supplement a low supply when he was two weeks old.  Once my supply got better, I quit doing that but DH continued to give him one bottle a day to get him used to it.  LO was never great with the bottle, but he would take it after a few minutes.

About a month ago, DH became too busy to give him the bottle and I hate pumping, so I just BF him.  Well, now he won't take a bottle for nothing!  I tried for an hour the other night and he ate maybe .5 oz.  I thought maybe the breastflow bottles may have a better result, but no dice.  DH has tried, I've tried...I just don't know what to do!

Any advice??

TIA 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
"Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."
~Dr. Suess
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: XP-LO won't take bottle

• Options
    Here's what I've heard, although I am in the same boat. Someone else has to give the bottle and you can't be around at all. Also a LC suggested trying it outside. The outdoors is supposed to be magic, but its too cold here.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I was just reading about that.  We're going to the IL's tonight, so I may have MIL try with me in another room.  Hopefully that'll work!

It's too cold here to feed him outside too. 

I love BF and won't be going back to work for another 3 months, but there are times when he will need to take a bottle... 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    ~Dr. Suess
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard you may have to actually leave the house if you are trying to have someone feed them a bottle. I guess they can smell you if you are there... Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had luck switching from Avent bottles to Playtex dropins and offering it to her when she's just waking up from a nap. Not great, but she is taking it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Similar story here... Dd took a bottle the first few times trying (Avent) didn't give her another one for awhile because we figured she was good to go. Nope. Tried with me there, with me upstairs, me outside, etc. finally after buying 5 different types of bottles she took nuk from me while sitting in her swing. Lots of smiling and singing so she didn't realize what I was trying to make her do lol . Good luck and have patience! In the end, I really believe if DH had had more patience with her she would have done better sooner
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

My MIL tried earlier with me in the other room and he screamed like crazy. So I tried to do a little switch-a-roo while I was BF and he sorta took it for a few seconds, then realized and got upset, lol.  And he keeps spitting out the milk.  It's frozen milk (which he didn't have a problem with in the past) so I'm going to try pumping in the morning and just giving it straight to him while it's still all nice and worm.  Someone also suggested that he may be more receptive in the morning.  We'll see...

Thanks for all the help! 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    ~Dr. Suess
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    When DS#1 was born I didn't introduce the bottle until he was almost 4 months old.  We went away for a week and left him with my parents with a freezer full of expressed milk and he went on a three day hunger strike.  My parents took him to the hospital and they ended up feeding him formula with a syringe.  He never did take the bottle.  He went right from the breast to a cup, not even a sippy cup, at 6 months.  It was so tough because I just couldn't leave him for any length of time.  Thankfully, I had the year off and didn't have to go back to work.  We never had this problem with DD but then again she had one bottle a day right from the third day due to low milk supply.  This time around I was determined that LO would take the bottle so we started when he was 6 weeks.  It took a few days but eventually he took it when I was at the gym.  Good luck...it's one of the toughest things to face IMO.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"