Health & Exercise
Options

advice from runners please

A few years back, I was jogging regularly. The past two years, I've gotten quite a bit out of shape, though other then excess weight, I've always been pretty healthy. I'm pregnant with my first child and for the past few months I have had a strong desire to start jogging again after the baby arrives.

I'm looking for advice on the following:

How soon (in general, I know it will depend on how my body heals) can you start jogging after the baby arrives?

As I am considering myself a beginner again, what early training schedule would you suggest?

How to handle the extra pregnancy weight while jogging to avoid injury?

TIA for your advice! xoxo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: advice from runners please

• Options
    I highly recommend the Couch 2 5k program. They have a website with all the details of the plan and you can also find podcasts for the program. Since this is a "new" activity for you, I'd suggest waiting until you're cleared at your 6-8 week appointment AND are comfortable doing a brisk 30 minute walk.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1 second couch to 5K.  Definitely start slow after the baby.  For a vaginal deliver dr's usually say 6 weeks.  I ran right after my 6 week appointment, and pushed too hard.  Afterwards it felt like I had just given birth with how tired my muscles were.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a marathoner who has been running throughout my pregnancy. While this is my first child, my OB said I won't be allowed to run until I have my 6 week appointment and she clears me.  With that said, I will likely create my own running program since I have been running for years, but the couch to 5k is a great program a lot of my friends have successfully used.  As far as the extra weight, I would invest in a few things. First, an excellent sports bra and second, I would go to a real running store (not a ***'s or Sports Authority) and have them fit you for proper running shoes. You don't have to spend a fortune, but they will be able to tell your gait, etc and ensure you are running in proper shoes for your current situation. I would recommend doing this at least on a yearly basis anyways, as most people need some tweaking and adjustments yearly.  Good luck and have fun, there is nothing better than a good, hard run! :)
  • Options

I agree with couch to 5k. I just wanted to jump in and say that my knees couldn't handle running with the extra 30 pounds I weighed post-pg, so I had to start with walking and yoga and Nia (like pilates/modern dance), then run/walking before jogging. Once I was 20 lbs from my pre-pg weight, I was good to go. Good luck! :-)

I still have about 10 post-pg lbs to lose, but now I'm running about 15 miles a week and LOVE it!

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I agree with the C25k program, or you can also look at the Hal Hidgon plans. I have been successful when using his plans for my marathons.

https://www.halhigdon.com/

I also agree, get a good sports bra. I am partial to the Moving comfort brand. Then get fitted for shoes. Once you are fitted and have a brand, you can come home and order the older model online for about half price of the newer model at the store.

Good luck!

• Options

How soon (in general, I know it will depend on how my body heals) can you start jogging after the baby arrives? I ran throughout my pregnancy (up until the day I was induced). At the beginning of mt pregnancy mr doctor said if I had an uncomplicated delivery I could go back to running within a couple weeks. I ended up starting back 3 weeks postpartum

How to handle the extra pregnancy weight while jogging to avoid injury? My secret to this was based on pure luck. I only gained 20lbs and it was pretty spaced out throughout my pregnancy. Because I gained very little at a time it wasn't too difficult for my body to adjust. And I lost it all the first week home (and then some), so I didn't have to worry about extra weight after the baby was born.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"