1st Trimester

Ultrasound Frustrations

So my doctor sent me to get an ultrasound at what I thought was seven weeks. My referral form specifically stated that I was supposed to have the ultrasound transvaginally, but the tech did an abdominal ultrasound anyway. Considering that i'm somewhat overweight, and I was so early on in my preg, I was a little concerned that she didn't follow the directions.

Despite it being abdominal, we were still able to see the baby and see/hear a heartbeat (117 bpm). But what also frustrated me about the experience was that the tech said I was 6 weeks and not 7 weeks. If this is the case, then I had a positive at home preg test like four days after I ovulated which seems nearly impossible. She moved the date based on the length of the baby (0.4 cm). But based on my LMP and and the heart rate, it seems like 7 weeks should be more accurate. And I wonder if the size might not have been as clear or accurate because it was an abdominal ultrasound.

I've heard that early ultrasounds are "the most accurate", but has anyone had a similar experience?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog

Re: Ultrasound Frustrations

• I am no professional, but I would also be annoyed that she didn't follow the Dr's directions.  As far as the dating of the embryo, are you sure about when you ovulated?

imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • Not sure at all. I'm sometimes irregular. But if I was six weeks when they did the ultrasound, that would mean i ovulated on the 11/23 or 11/24...and I had a positive preg test on 11/27. Hence my confusion. lol.
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it is pretty normal to measure a week earlier when you are not that far along.  They did the same thing for me put me from 7 weeks to 6 weeks. I have another appointment on Wednesday and I am suppose to get a set due date and a more definite of how far along I am. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks! My husband thinks I'm crazy because I trust my own calculations over the tech's. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter.
  • A dating ultrasound that early is the most accurate you can get.  All babies at that stage develop at the same rate.  I would trust the u/s even if it was abdominal.  If the tech couldn't get the measurements she would have switched to vaginal.

When I went for mine at 8 weeks I thought I was a week earlier (7 weeks) based on charting and temps but I was really a week later than I thought (8 weeks).  I trusted the dating u/s over my chart.  Now in my 2nd tri I am measuring perfectly with the u/s measurement.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • imagestemms8810:

A dating ultrasound that early is the most accurate you can get.  All babies at that stage develop at the same rate.  I would trust the u/s even if it was abdominal.  If the tech couldn't get the measurements she would have switched to vaginal.

When I went for mine at 8 weeks I thought I was a week earlier (7 weeks) based on charting and temps but I was really a week later than I thought (8 weeks).  I trusted the dating u/s over my chart.  Now in my 2nd tri I am measuring perfectly with the u/s measurement.

I agree with this too.  100%.  this is my 4th child, and this has been my experience as well.  If the tech can't get a measurement- they will do the Vaginal one.  Trust me.  

lolololo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"