Cloth Diapering
Options

Cloth Banned at TN Daycares?!

when i toured local daycare in memphis i said my top two concerns were that my daughter is cloth diapered and breastfed. i explained that i used aio diapers (bumgenius) that work exactly like disposables and i would provide wetbags for dirty diapers. none of the daycares had experience with cloth but said it was okay. 

dd is to start daycare jan 3rd. today at 4:30 i recieved a call from her daycare saying i have to use disposables because cloth is banned in tn. she went on about how banned seemed harsh, she was sorry and asked why i cloth diaper. 

i am so angry about this. i chose a more expensive daycare because i like the program and they seemed understanding. she said it was a sanitation issue; which i dont understand at all because diapers would go in a wet bag (that i take home every day). they dont have to spray/wipe poo off (she eve produces less bc shes breastfed).  also, this daycare uses cloth wipes that they make. how are the wipes any different than diapers?

im so confused! anyone have any experience dealing with this? i really want to keep dd in cloth diapers. (sorry for format, bumping from phone) 

image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cloth Banned at TN Daycares?!

• Options

I just looked up TN licensing regulations and they do, indeed, require disposable diapers.  What a shame.

https://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/1240/1240-04/1240-04-03.20090314.pdf

(pg 78)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Maine is the same way :( Unless you have a physicians note saying that they can't use disposables.

Makes me mad too...we're planning on using cloth at home and wanted to do the same for daycare but won't be able to 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers PicMonkeyCollage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm really sorry about this. It really sucks.  Unfortunately a lot of these rules are often made by uneducated people who know nothing about what they are making laws for.

You can still cloth diaper at home and on the weekends though. While it isn't all the time, it is better than nothing.

In-home day care would be the only option I could think of that would help the situation.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The way I read those TN regulations (nice find btw) are that sick care facilities need to use disposibles (pg 78 is about sick kids). The regular diapering section said nothing about cloth. I'm also pretty sure if you can get a note from your doc they cant refuse you, I was reading the national accreditation guidelines.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelwsnake:
    The way I read those TN regulations (nice find btw) are that sick care facilities need to use disposibles (pg 78 is about sick kids). The regular diapering section said nothing about cloth. I'm also pretty sure if you can get a note from your doc they cant refuse you, I was reading the national accreditation guidelines.

Ooh, good catch!

OP, call child care licensing and see what they say.  There are a gazillion rules to follow so it could be that your provider is misreading the regulations (like I did!) or it might be that the regulations have changed and are going into effect in the new year.  I know the preschool I work for gets notices from time to time about changes to our licensing laws but the online regulations are only changed every so often.  A call to the licensing department will clear things up.  Start her off in sposies and see where things go.  GL!

https://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cc_main.html
    Child Care Licensing: (615) 313-4778

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thanks everyone! im so upset about this.  will be doing all i can to try and keep her in cloth. needless to say daycare is not boosting my moral as a ftm 3 days away from returning to work! 
    image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just get a note from your doc saying she gets rashes in sposies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm in Knoxville, and haven't found a daycare yet, but have heard varying opinions. An acquaintance that cds said that some daycares accept cds, I just haven't found it yet. Our main reason for cding in cost, but I'm going to be pretty bummed if I can't find someplace that will let us stay with all cd.
  • Options
    I'm in Nashville and having the same problem. I choose the day care I liked, but none I visited could do CD because of this stupid law. It's possible it could change, I really hope it does. I'm still going to CD at home.
  • Options
    We don't use daycare, but when I was looking into daycare I found one that said they would accept cloth. I am pretty sure that a coworker of mine uses cloth for her daughter in daycare.  I don't know how that works, since the regulations appear to require disposables. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"