February 2012 Moms

Placement of Car seat?

The below post got me thinking... Where should I position my carseat? I drive a Lincoln MKX... My back seat has a 60/40 split, and the middle seat isn't an option for the car seat. 

My problem? The way we have to park our vehicles in the garage, my passenger side doors are inaccessible. (there's a wall there...) So, the easiest position would be behind the drivers seat... But that's the "60" part of my 60/40. Plus, for some reason I'd just feel better with her on the passenger side. Unfortunately it's going to be a hassle to get her all the way ove there. 

Theres no other way either of our vehicles can fit in our oddly-shaped garage. I have to back into the back left corner, hubs' truck pulls straight in, staying in the front right corner. So, both vehicles have the "drivers side would be easier, but is it safe?" problem.

Is it safe to put baby on the drivers side? Or should I bite it, deal with the hassle, and put her on the passenger? (I cant find any rec's, neither in the car seat manual nor my owners manual... And googling sucks.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
212 Facebook Admin.

Re: Placement of Car seat?

• From what I have read, they actually recommend using the driver's side if you aren't using the middle.  Reason being, it is your natural instinct to protect yourself (and your side of the car) in an accident, so that instinct will also help protect your LO if they are on the same side of the car.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• imagekristin172429:
    From what I have read, they actually recommend using the driver's side if you aren't using the middle.  Reason being, it is your natural instinct to protect yourself (and your side of the car) in an accident, so that instinct will also help protect your LO if they are on the same side of the car.

This! I can't remember where I saw this, but I remember reading the same thing.  

• Loading the player...
  • My boys are either side of the back- they have been just fine :) 
  • I know how you feel - google is no help, and I can't seem to find anything in my Hyundai Sonata's manual either - but I believe that the middle is where they prefer now days due to air bags. BUT I remember my little brothers had to be put behind the drivers side b/c that was where they recommended it back then I think. If LO isn't going in the middle, she's going behind the driver in my car too.
                    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• You are totally fine using the drivers side.  If you think about it people with twins have to use both sides.  I am putting the baby on the drivers side because I need to be able to hand things to DS.  There is really nothing I can do to make an infant happy while driving but I can hand DS snacks, drinks, toys, etc and would much rather be able to reach him.  Just get a good mirror to hang on the head rest above LO so she will be in full view.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're putting the baby on the passenger side so I can use a mirror on the headrest and see her. Our oldest will go on the driver side!
  • Thank you for posting this. I was wondering about this just this morning. Our garage makes passenger side more difficult too. 
  • Thank you ladies! Driver's side it is! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • I will be putting Baby on the passenger side. When parked on the curb, is the safest place to load and unload Baby.
    Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• imagenoryang:
    I will be putting Baby on the passenger side. When parked on the curb, is the safest place to load and unload Baby.

This isn't actually an issue for us. We live in a small town. If it were, or ever becomes an issue, we can switch her. :)

212 Facebook Admin.
  • We're doing the passenger side, due to similar garage-related issues.  I also want to be able to see my little guy if I need to.  I have a Chevy Traverse with 2 captains chiars for the second row, so I don't have a middle seat option. 
  • I've always heard safest is in the middle and next is the passenger side although I'm not sure why.  I've always had dd on the passenger side which has worked out nicely because when she would fuss I could reach back and hand her a toy/paci from the driver's seat quickly and easily.  I plan on moving dd to behind the drivers side and putting the infant carrier on the passenger side again.

ETA: https://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q40

Isobel
    5 February 2008
  • We're putting the car seat on the driver's side in my car too, basically for the same reasons as OP. Ive read my car's manual and it doesnt mention a preference for either side. Also, I can't think of a place Id ever park on the street and need to unload the baby there as opposed to in a parking lot. Maybe in an emergency, but other than that, it would essentially never happen.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"