Pregnant after IF

How did you choose your OB/Midwife?

Now that I know I only have one baby in there, I feel more comfortable going the midwife/natural birth route..  What influenced your decision on your provider? What should I look for?  My sister told me I could "interview" doctors and/or midwives but I'm not sure how that works insurance-wise?  I already know the hospital I want to deliver at--they have the jet tubs to labor in and two suites for water births. Now to find a midwife/ob! I suspect I will be graduating from my RE sometime around 10-11 weeks? I have another ultrasound scheduled with him on 1/13.

I gave you life, then you gave me mine.

TTC February 2008 to October 2008 One year forced break due to OIF deployment #2
Resumed TTC in October 2009 HSG, Hysteroscopy, S/A all clear
Five total medicated cycles and IUI #1-3 = BFN and all while we were still "unexplained IF"
25 August Lap revealed Endo, adhesions and blocked left tube
September 2011: Femara + IUI #4 (IUI #1 post endo removal) =BFFN
November: IVF #1: Stims started 11/16 ER 11/25 (7R, 5F) ET 11/30 Transferred 2 beautiful expanding blastocysts +HPT 12/6/11
Beta #1 at 9dp5dt=153! Beta #2 at 16dp5dt= 4009!

Ultrasound 12/30 showed one beautiful heartbeat! EDD 17 August, 2012

Hazel Evelyn arrived 10 August, 2012!

Surprise natural BFP March 2015. M/C at 5 weeks
Another surprise natural BFP April 2015

Re: How did you choose your OB/Midwife?

• I just picked a practice located in the hospital complex I wanted to deliver at. The practice is a mix of OBs and midwives so I had a feeling they'd be a little more progressive - maybe I just got lucky, but I've been very happy with my Drs this whole time!

I called to have the appt made after my first u/s with the RE (6w3d) and they told me to call back after the 2nd u/s and they'd get me in ASAP. They had me in within a week. 

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did not figure out how to interview practices, but I did get recs from patients and my RE. There were many practices to choose from at the hospital I was interested in.

I would recommend you try to get an appointment soon though. As I started calling about at the stage you are now and I was finding that several people were already full for my due month. I did finally get an appointment but I am not going in until 12 weeks. I graduated around 9 weeks, so it all works out. I am still a little nervous about my choice since I have still not met her yet. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • I found my OB through a friend who had her baby last year. They are also the main group of OB's that deliver at the hospital I want to deliver at.

Have you asked your RE for a recommendation? That's probably what I would have done if I didn't have the referral from my friend. Good luck! 

Dx: Unexplained Infertility

TTC #1 
    IUI's #1 - #3 Clomid = BFN's, IUI #4 Follistim = BFP
    Grayson arrived via emergency c-section on 7/28/12!

TTC #2 
    IUI's #1 - #4 Follistim = BFN's
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI + PGS: Lupron/Follistim/Menopur
    ER 4/13 - 19R, 13F, 4 PGS tested embryos, 1 normal
    5/14 FET: BFP. Beta #1: 123, Beta #2: 327, Beta #3: 854
    Cora arrived 1/23/15 via RCS!
  • My OB is my Gyn, so that was easy for me! I love, love, love her, and the practice has a great reputation. 
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • I just did this same thing! We requested a meet and greet appointment to interview the midwife/ob pair we were looking at. They didn't charge insurance but had a small fee. We were really pleased. Their vision of birth aligned with mine, athey were willing to let me move and labor as long as I need, I can eat, and I loved that I was guaranteed to have one of the two of them at my birth. Plus they have a midwife and an ob in case of emergencies. 
    ME: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2010
    DX: Unclear-potential MF (low motility, borderline count); currently unexplained
    Ultrasound/HSG- Feb 2011
    Lap: May 2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #1: 6/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #2: 7/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #3: 8/2011
    9/2011 Switched REs...and more testing
    DX: Unexplained- borderline MFI
    IVF #1: 11/09/2011- BFP!!
    Beta #1: 241; Beta #2: 666
    Ultrasound scheduled for 5w6d
    Baby girl born 8.14.12
  • I selected who my RE recommended (out of 3 choices) and a hospital with a NICU just in case for the twins.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"