December 2010 Moms

Opinions on gifts from smokers?

So my DH's aunt and family sent LO a bunch of gifts for Christmas and birthday.  They are really cute and sweet, but his aunt is a heavy smoker and the gifts smell of smoke.  There are two stuffed animal and a hand-knit hat.  I think I can wash the stuffed animals but I'm a little nervous about the hat.  It's really cute but it really reeks (I think because she is the one who smokes and she knit it).  What should I do?  Is it ridiculous that it bothers me? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinions on gifts from smokers?

• I will never understand how smokers think that they don't affect people around them. My stepmother is pretty much a chain smoker and used to give us things that we could never get the smell out of. Sad It is not ridiculous that this bothers you. I'm picturing someone knitting a baby hat with a ciggy in their mouth getting mad for you. LOL

I'd try good old fashion washing (on gentle) and fresh air. I know its cold out, but it will still help. Good luck!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Thanks, ladies, I'm just scared of ruining the hat!  It makes me really sad that she smokes so much.  She's really great and I love her so much, but I refuse to take LO to their house because she smokes inside ALL THE TIME.  When we were in town over the summer, we took LO to her work to see her just so we could avoid feeling awkward for refusing to go in the house. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had heavy smoker family member give me presents at my baby shower that I had to just throw out... then again it was onsies with stains all over them so... :/

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • You are more patient than me, becuase honestly I would have just thrown them out. Maybe I would try to hand wash the hat and then let it air dry outside, but the stuffed animals would definitely go. Those things are impossible to ever really clean.

I also have a really sensitive sense of smell though!

• Since you really like her, I'd also try to give the animals and the hat a good washing.  You definitely want to try and get the smoke residue off.  I guess if I didn't like her that much, I would toss them too but it sounds like it's worth a shot.  You could also wash it and then put in on LO, take a pic, send to her or post to FB, and then get rid of it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its not ridiculous that it bothers you.  It would bother me.  Maybe I'm being over cautious or even a biotch but I would throw them out.  Even if the gift was for me I would throw them out.  I hate the smell of smoke and it gives me really bad headaches.
  • If one wash didn't take care of it, I would also throw it out.
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • My mom is a smoker, and this has been an ongoing issue for us.  I would put the hat and stuffed animals outside in the cold air (or in the garage) to air out.  Washing on delicate might also work for the animals.  I do not take DS to my parents' house because I will not have him sitting in a smoky house, and frankly, I can't stand the smell of smoke myself.  This has been a really frustrating problem and has definitely limited our interaction with my parents.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagejarebearsmom:
    I had heavy smoker family member give me presents at my baby shower that I had to just throw out... then again it was onsies with stains all over them so... :/

That's horrible that someone would give you dirty onesies.  I would have thrown them out as well.

• I'd wash it all too.  If it gets ruined, well then it does.  But you aren't going to ude it or want to keep it around if it doesn't get washed, YKWIM?

• My MIL smokes, a LOT ...the PP's are right on, a gentle wash should do it ...there are some things that can't be washed, like a PNP for example ....a lot of the time, if you just set it out to "air out" for a few days.

it sucks, people that smoke in their house are stupid.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers We're Finally Three

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Cassie has read 1 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Will it help to protect the hat if you put it in a lingerie bag before you put it in the wash?

Yeah... I don't get it. I'm so glad my MIL stopped smoking a few months ago (she had a cancer scare and quit cold turkey when she was in the hospital).

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"