June 2011 Moms

Rejecting most solids

So far, we haven't had great luck with solids. LO was okay with rice cereal the first few times, but rejected it the last time. Loved sweet potatoes (earth's best), but gagged on and rejected my homemade sweet potatoes (even when I made them thin). He loved carrots the first 2 times, and today he is gagging on them. Hated oatmeal, liked bananas once, now hates them.

Has anyone else found inconsistencies with what your LO will accept? I'm seeing people posting about their LO's eating 2+oz per meal, several times per day, and we're nowhere close to that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Rejecting most solids

• FWIW, we're not close to that either. He eats once a day and I'm lucky if it's half an ounce. He started off loving the sweet potatoes I'd made to not being a huge fan of them lately. I'm going to try avocados next, after the ones I bought ripen up a bit in the next day or so. I'm not terribly concerned because I know that eventually, he'll be gobbling this stuff down. :) No rush to have it be now.

Have you considered a bit of BLW? That's a route I'm considering as well. He seems intent to get his hands in the bowl of food each time I'm feeding him.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Right there with you. My LO eats once a day and an ounce if I am lucky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagehepcats:

Have you considered a bit of BLW? That's a route I'm considering as well. He seems intent to get his hands in the bowl of food each time I'm feeding him.

I thought about it, but it makes me nervous. I know plenty of people do it safely, but I feel like I'd be so paranoid about choking. I haven't looked into details, though, really. He did like Mum Mums today when I gave it for the first time. I broke small pieces for him to pick up, and he was able to get a couple pieces into his mouth (the others, he mushed in his hand).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLauraOTR:
    imagehepcats:

I thought about it, but it makes me nervous. I know plenty of people do it safely, but I feel like I'd be so paranoid about choking. I haven't looked into details, though, really. He did like Mum Mums today when I gave it for the first time. I broke small pieces for him to pick up, and he was able to get a couple pieces into his mouth (the others, he mushed in his hand).

If you're interested, I would check out the book. In the beginning, you do not give bite size pieces. You give finger/french fry shaped pieces. I was worried about choking, too, but I learned that at this age, the gag reflex is very high up on the tongue. That means that a baby will start gagging and cough something out of their mouth before it's anywhere close to blocking their throat. 

Anyway, we do BLW, and foods still seem hit or miss. I actually just figured out that if I give her round slices of cucumber with the skin on, it is easier for her to manipulate than the skinless finger shaped pieces I was doing. She loved the round slices at lunch today. 

• My LO hates everything aside from BM.  We give her purees plus pieces of what we eat at meals.  We essentially throw everything at her in hopes that she'll like something, but as of right now very little makes it into her mouth and is not immediately spit out.

I mentioned it to our pedi at her 6 month appt and she said it really wasn't a big deal, that she "had till 1 to figure it out."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it took weeks. Now over 6 weeks later she is FINALLY eating it up with 2+oz 2x a day.
  • I would also suggest a little bit of BLW. LO HATED everything we tried to give her on a spoon. I am talking crying, screaming, inconsolable fits witheverything butonce I gave her food to eat herself she was fine. We have been giving her finger food for about 2 weeks now and see is loving it. Of course she isn't really swallowing much but she is getting the chewing and sitting at the table with her own food with mom and dad thing down.
  • DS is the same way - he will eat something one night and then not want it the next.  He "eats" very little - maybe a baby spoon or two worth at the most.  We are no where close to eating 2 oz a day.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I heard you should offer something 10 times before you assume they have a preference-- they just might not be in the mood for bananas that day! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"