Toddlers: 24 Months+

asap help help help!!!

my DD has recently (within the last three days) started a new game. she puts food in her mouth, holds it there, then spits it all out. she is currently sitting in timeout after spreading banana all over the couch while doing this. i have been putting her in timeout each time she does it. it isnt helping. what do i do?!
*The Blog* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural M/C : Arabella's Twin Guardian Angel, 7.29.2009.**Natural M/C : 2.20.2010. 18 weeks. Always Loved. 4 weeks.

Re: asap help help help!!!

• Uggg, Tim does that with his water.... drives me insane. I'm in the same boat so I don't have any advice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, so gross.  Sorry this is happening.  DD has only spit her food out a few times.  I notice she does it when she takes a bite that's too big, so I try to keep an eye out for that.  Other times, she's just playing around, and I tell her that she had better eat her food or mama will eat it.  That seems to snap her out of it- she doesn't want to share!  If that still doesn't work, I tell her that if she does it again, it must mean she's all done, and that the meal is over.

Good luck!  Hopefully, it's just a phase! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We only have one way of dealing with any messing around with food or drinks (spitting out, throwing dishes, etc.). She gets one warning and then it is taken away. I figure if she is playing around she must not be that hungry/thirsty and she can just wait until the next snack/meal time.
  • DD went through a phase like this but it was never very much food & it was always when she's at the table.  Don't get me wrong she's not totally out of it & still likes to spit, real spit & it's driving me NUTS too.  Maybe for now only let him eat at the table so the mess in not so awful to clean up.  I think time out is a good idea if he is the type of child that responds to it.  DD has only just begun to respond to it. Also try reading Magic 1-2-3.  I've found some really good advice in the book.  
  • Stern mommy voice, obvious disgust in reaction and time outs worked for our DD. But she is very sensitive to our disapproval.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I would just keep doing it - eventually she will get it.  And stop the eating.  Tell her she must not be hungry if she is spitting her food out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagellc730:
    We only have one way of dealing with any messing around with food or drinks (spitting out, throwing dishes, etc.). She gets one warning and then it is taken away. I figure if she is playing around she must not be that hungry/thirsty and she can just wait until the next snack/meal time.

This. 

• thanks ladies. we eat meals at the table, but she likes to pull up her chair at the coffee table for snacks, thats when this banana incident happened. i will just continue with what im doing-time outs, obvious take the food away. hoping its a short phase lol
    *The Blog* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural M/C : Arabella's Twin Guardian Angel, 7.29.2009.**Natural M/C : 2.20.2010. 18 weeks. Always Loved. 4 weeks.
  • I think giving too much attention and disgust or emotional reaction gives her far too much power for negative behavior.  I personally would physically help her carry her plate to counter and than take her directly to th the bathroom sink and tell her if she wants to spit, spitting is for the sink when we brush our teeth or rinse our mouths.  I would then fill a cup half way and have her practice spitting water in the sink taking little sips, swish and spit til it's gone, ignore when she misses the sink, or swallows, just prevent the errant spit verbally without giving an emotional reaction.  Make it informative and neutral. 

I think time-out is ok if you know that she isn't doing it to get a rise out of you or to get away from the table, but the consequence doesn't relate to the action OR teach her the pro-social was to engage in that behavior.

• imageLoveEeyore:

I think giving too much attention and disgust or emotional reaction gives her far too much power for negative behavior.  I personally would physically help her carry her plate to counter and than take her directly to th the bathroom sink and tell her if she wants to spit, spitting is for the sink when we brush our teeth or rinse our mouths.  I would then fill a cup half way and have her practice spitting water in the sink taking little sips, swish and spit til it's gone, ignore when she misses the sink, or swallows, just prevent the errant spit verbally without giving an emotional reaction.  Make it informative and neutral. 

I think time-out is ok if you know that she isn't doing it to get a rise out of you or to get away from the table, but the consequence doesn't relate to the action OR teach her the pro-social was to engage in that behavior.

I agree with all of this. 
    April 2009
  • DS did this a couple of time and it seems like he's looking for a reaction. Try ignoring her. If you don't react she will have no reason to do it and she'll stop. It worked for me. Yes, you may have to clean it up but, don't react just ignore her. Good luck.

3 Beautiful kids Jessica,18 attending Ohio State University. David, 14 a freshman in high school. And last but not least Robbie, my baby is 21 months. I'm not too proud...Ya think? Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"