Cloth Diapering
Options

Bamboo inserts in pockets

I recently bought some WAHM bamboo inserts to use in my BG 4.0s. DS is a HW so I was excited to try something more absorbent. Ironically, they seem to leak frequently. They tend to only leak when he's on his back (we don't have this problem w/the BG MF inserts). I know bamboo absorbs slower. And the inserts arent soaked when this happens, although they are wet. Do you think the leaks are from the bamboo absorbing slower? Or do you think these inserts just suck?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bamboo inserts in pockets

• Options

Yeah, we had the same problem with inserts I bought (can't remember the brand).  They got significantly better over time with several washes. 

Do you put them in with the MF inserts or just by themselves?  I find for us they work better with MF because the MF absorbs first then the hemp absorbs the rest more slowly. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Bamboo takes a little while to be fully prepped.  In the mean time, you could try adding a NB sized MF insert on top of the bamboo to help it absorb faster.

We use bamboo by itself all the time, but mostly in pockets that don't have a stay dry liner.  I haven't ever tried them in BGs.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I use bamboo inserts exclusively in my BGs, and I find them to be just as absorbent if not more absorbent than MF. I use them on their own... bamboo absorbs just as quickly as MF. It's hemp that absorbs more slowly (and I do get leaks with hemp).

I would guess that they're not fully prepped.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    I agree - probably just need more use. I've found bamboo fine on it's own, and even hemp depends on the type. I have some inserts that are sort of a jersey knit that absorb slowly, but others are a fluffy fleece that absorb just as fast as anything else.
  • Options
    Thank you, guys! I have hemp inserts that absorb just fine (Joeybunz Premium inserts). It's just the hemp that give me fits. I'll try them with the MF and see if they'll improve with a few more uses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"