Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Just got back from the ER

Gosh, I feel like I should get the "bad mom of the year" award.

You know how they say don't turn your head for a second? Well, I didn't even turn my head. I was putting on her socks. She's been doing this back arching push herself back thing lately and she does it while I am changing her, but she hasn't gotten far. She has just pushed futher back on the changing pad.

Well, this time I guess she got carried away and she literally launched herself backwards off of the changing table. I screamed DH's name and started crying so I am sure that didn't help her crying or the situation, but I felt so bad. I have now setup her changing station temporarily in her bassinet until we can figure out something else.

Telling the story I feel like I should have been able to catch her, but it literally happened in a split second.

She is fine and they ended up doing a CT scan since the fall was from so high (about 3 1/2 feet). Everything came back normal and she is her happy self, but gosh has it been a long emotional day!  

I don't know what I would do if something would have been wrong.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Just got back from the ER

• Options

Yea.. a couple nights ago LO did the same exact thing off my bed. I had just finished giving her bath, wrapped her in a towel and set her down on the bed to go grab a onesie from her nursery. It's a queen sized bed, and I know she scoots backwards in her crib- so I purposely put her close to the edge of one side but laying across so her feet were towards the edge. 

I wasn't even across the hall (10 secs at most) she scooted across the entire queen sized bed backwards,  managed to flip herself over as she fell, and went face down on the floor. She's got 2 teeny bruises right on the tip of her nose now and a little bit of a red mark on her forehead. 

Talk about shock. She is obviously a friggin marithon scooter. I still have no idea how it was even possible for her to go that far, that quickly, scooting friggin backwards but damned if she didn't scoot herself right off the bed.

The moral of this is: Don't feel bad. Babies fall all the time. It's just our job to learn from that and make the necessary changes (like you did with the changing table, and I now know I can't leave her even for 1 second on the bed alone) and they will be just fine. 

And PS I cried more than she did for the whole thing. It is such a crazy thing, how our little ones get hurt and we have instant nervous breakdowns because of it.   

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks you made me feel better! I know we can't wrap our kids in bubble wrap and expect nothing bad to happen to them, but I would like to hope that nothing will.

Happy New Year! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There wasn't really anything you could've done.  Unfortunately these things happen no matter how cautious one can be.  Welcome to the world of mommy guilt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Don't beat yourself up!! I was walking with DD and she decided to throw herself backwards and smack her little head on the door frame. I rushed her to ER (don't ask how I could see where i was going as I was crying so hard!) Once in the exam room, DD was laughing and smiling away. The doctor just looked at me an said "so....head injury? Yeah she's fine" and then...."First time mom?!" I guess it was kinda funny but still!!

Again, don't beat yourself up! You didn't do anything on purpose to bring harm to your child.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I did that to myself when I was a baby, had a concussion and threw up. But I turned out fine :) I've been using the seat belt thing on DDs change table cause she wants to roll everywhere and arches her back and pushes backwards a lot too.
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagePoppymama:

Don't beat yourself up!! I was walking with DD and she decided to throw herself backwards and smack her little head on the door frame. I rushed her to ER (don't ask how I could see where i was going as I was crying so hard!) Once in the exam room, DD was laughing and smiling away. The doctor just looked at me an said "so....head injury? Yeah she's fine" and then...."First time mom?!" I guess it was kinda funny but still!!

Again, don't beat yourself up! You didn't do anything on purpose to bring harm to your child.

Same thing has happened to me. I didnt take him to the ER bc within 2 minutes he was his happy smiling self. I cried longer than he did and I honestly think me crying made him wayyy more upset. PP- try not to beat yourself up about it. 
  • Options
    Ugh, what a scare!  Glad you are all ok.  My first son fell off his changing table at about 8 months (I somehow caught him mid-air) and I have used a changing pad on the floor since then.  He fell from a second story landing when he had just turned 2 (he was at a friend's house and he fit between the railings somehow) and suffered 2 skull fractures, but he is fine.  It's scary, but they are more resilient than we think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My husband asked if I had told you ladies about my MOTY moment but I felt so terrible about it that I didn't post. Don't feel bad! It happens. Yesterday O fell off of the sofa at the home I sit at. I was devastated! I called DH crying but I had bad service so he never heard me say that she fell off the sofa so when he came by to releave me and take her he was shocked to hear it. The oldest boy (5) told me that she was trying to slide off the sofa feet first like his brother does so she could walk. I was so upset but when he told me that all I could do was laugh. O was ok, her feet/legs broke her fall and then her lovey ended up under her face. I never heard or saw her head hit the hardwood either. I'm glad your LO is ok, that sounds like a really scary fall, especially with her falling off backwards.

ETA: relieve* my brain is fried Indifferent

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yay!! Not the only one! We have the changing pad on the floor since the beginning because he was arching and moving in the hospital, but our scare came from the couch. Even hearing that we aren't the only one still doesn't make me feel better. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"