Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Constipation....

I recently made the choice to stop breast feeding and have been slowly transitioning to formula by doing half and half bottles. Now my baby isn't as regular as she was. She was having a bowel movement about every other bottle and now it's been well over 24 hours since her last one. She isnt acting like she's in pain or has a stomach ache but I'm still concerned? Anyone have any tips/advice??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Constipation....

• We use Similac Alimentum and it helped with this right away when our son was 7 weeks old.  It was a miracle worker. 
  • imageRedheadBaker:

From https://www.justmommies.com/articles/baby-poop.shtml (From the Baby 411 book)

"Babies that don?t poop for several days

Once your baby is about one month old, he may start having fewer bowel movements. If your baby is breastfed, he may go several days to a week without having a bowel movement. This is nothing to worry about. Exclusively breastfed babies rarely have problems with constipation. If he goes longer than a week, he seems to be in pain, or if you are concerned, call your pediatrician.

Formula-fed babies poops slow down at about a month as well. However, formula is more likely to cause constipation than breast milk. Most formula fed babies will have about one bowel movement a day. Stools should be soft. If you notice your baby?s stools are firm or hard and pellet-like, he may be constipated. If your baby goes longer than two or three days without a bowel movement and he is formula fed, you should give your pediatrician a call."

All of this. 

You should be fine as long as when LO does defecate that it is not hard, and pellet like. Just wait it out. Be prepared though-- it will be the motherload in the diaper when LO does go! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this issue when Lo was getting Similac Advanced, but she was grunting hard with nothing for like 4-5 days....I gave her Karo Syrup in two bottles and it helped. I then switched to Enfamil Gentlease and she goes 1-2x a day.
    photo b5880bbf-17e0-491c-8d1e-181ee8707670_zps6b0bf0b5.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Aug 19, 2010 ParaGuard IUD Removed
    Sept 7, 2010 Dx w/Hypothyroidism (TSH 6.7) Began taking Levothyroxine
    Feb 15, 2010 BFP with #1
    Nov 1, 2011 DD1 Born
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"