April 2011 Moms

xp: Santa and Grandparents

Here's my question: how do you deal with stockings and grandparents?  Somewhat babbly explanation follows if you feel like reading it.  

So, I didn't grow up with grandparents, so I just don't know how to proceed.  I'm a bit miffed, but maybe I'm being silly.  I thought maybe you guys could help me figure this out.  Hopefully someone has a simple solution??

LO is our first.  He has a stocking at our house (duh, right?  I mean, if your family does Santa, he usually comes to your house to leave presents).  DH and I also have stockings at home.  

Problem: DH and I also have stockings at both my mom's and my ILs.  No stockings at my dad's.

My mom does not put gifts in, just chocolate.  She is going to tell the grandkids that they are just decorations; Santa will visit her children at their own homes.  She is not adding stockings for her grandchildren. 

My ILs still have presents in all of stockings that say from Santa on them (MIL wraps them).  If LO has a stocking at ILs, then what?  Santa visits twice?  Um, not so much.  Also, my BIL wants to get stocking stuffers for my LO.  

Is it selfish of me that they have had their shot to play Santa for their kids, and I don't want them to play Santa for my LO? 

How do you work stockings and grandparents?

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: xp: Santa and Grandparents

• Our rule is Santa comes to where you sleep, and only brings items that will fit in your stocking. I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it this year since your LO will have no idea what is going on. See what happens, and then make a game plan for next year. Plus in my experience, family always get really excited the first year and then sorta fade out to a more reasonable gift giving level.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • well here is what we are doing with LO...she is also our first. we have decided that since our home is too small right now that "santa" will just come to my parents home. We did a small get together with IL and we just decided to combine santa with my parents. We talked and thought that as long as my grandpa is alive (her great grandpa) that it would not be a problem to just have Santa at my mom's. I didnt feel like it was taking anything away...seeing as how i did the shopping, she is just the house where the mess will be. Hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, idont think your LO isgoingto think much of it until the age where they might start questioning Santa altogether...until then I think it will be cool, more presents. But you are the parents, so you get to make the call. If it means a lot to you, then have DH have a conversation with his mom and exp,ain your concerns, Santa didn't fill my stocking though, my mom did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I was growing up, Santa visited our house as well as my grandparents on my mom's side.  I didn't question it when I was very small, just enjoyed the extra gifts  :)  We ended up doing the same for our son's first christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"