Infertility
Options

irrational ivf/cancer fears.. someone wanna talk me down

i have this incredible fear of doing ivf again because I feel like somehow i will get cancer.. its not toally irrational because it has happened to people. I am actually considering being done because i dont want to play with fire but at the same time i want to be pregnant(and stay that way). i would love to say that i want a baby no matter what the cost, but if its my life then whats the point. plus i feel selfish b/c i have a beautiful little boy and is it fair for me to put my life on the line and possibly leave him without a mom?? i know i am probably being a little silly but i really worry about these things.

someone have any insight? am i the only one worried about getting cancer from the drugs we take?

just a rambling of thoughts, sorry

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
3 failed femara iui cycles-
moving on to IVF oct 2011
ER nov. 7th
tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
lots of +hpt!!
beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
another miscarriage 12/23
moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
ET 4/28 3 transfered
Beta #1- 356
Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: irrational ivf/cancer fears.. someone wanna talk me down

• Options
    No... I've had the same fear.  DH and I have put limits on how many times we'll do a fresh IVF (two times max).  I've spent a lot of time in prayer these past couple of months
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options

imageGregermis:
    No... I've had the same fear.  DH and I have put limits on how many times we'll do a fresh IVF (two times max).  I've spent a lot of time in prayer these past couple of months

oh good. i needed to hear this. thanks for the response

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My attitude honestly is that everything can give you cancer, it seems like.  There are people who are super healthy, do everything right, and still get sick.  For me, the benefits outweigh the risk.  But of course, I don't have a child already to think of.  That is a huge thing to consider for you.  I think you have to weigh the realistic chances vs. your desire to be pregnant, and then decide what you're comfortable doing.  Good luck.

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My IVF nurse brought this up last week to me. She said original studies showed a link but more recent studies proved otherwise. For me I am willing to risk anything but I certainly felt better after she told me that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I do think about this often. It is my understanding that most of the research has not suggested a link between cancer and IVF. There was a flawed study that suggested it after Gilda Radner's death, but subsequent research refuted that finding. However, a recent study came out suggesting that there is some link, but not for invasive ovarian cancer or  multiple IVF cycles ( https://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/27/news/la-heb-ovarian-cancer-ivf-20111027 ).There has been some thought that IF itself may increase your risk of breast or ovarian cancer. And, of course there is the whole idea that women that do not have children are at an increased risk. So, by that standard, you would lower your risk by undergoing (successful) treatment. 

At this point, it seems like no one really knows. But, whenever I start to freak out, I always ask myself, "what is the alternative?" I want to be a mother and what mother wouldn't do anything for her child? I figure all I can do is try to keep an eye on the research, keep my OB/GYN informed of my IF history, and pray.

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options

imageSarah226:
    My attitude honestly is that everything can give you cancer, it seems like.  There are people who are super healthy, do everything right, and still get sick.  For me, the benefits outweigh the risk.  But of course, I don't have a child already to think of.  That is a huge thing to consider for you.  I think you have to weigh the realistic chances vs. your desire to be pregnant, and then decide what you're comfortable doing.  Good luck.

I agree with this. Furthermore, to my knowledge, there are no current studies linking ivf with cancer. (Although, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a link with multiple cycles... who knows what they will find in the future). But you need to do whatever you feel comfortable with doing!!

DH: Severe MFI/Azoo Me: Compound heterozygous MTHFR
    IVF #1= m/c- methotrexate @6w2d
    FET #1= BFN
    IVF #2= m/c- D&C @8w5d
    IVF #3= Beta #1 9dp5dt= 252, Beta #2 11dp5dt= 417, Beta #3 17dp5dt= 4,952
    US #2 @ 7w2d= twins, baby B measuring behind
    US #3 @ 8w5d= Baby A doing well, no HR in baby B
    *S/PAIF always welcome* BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I too asked my RE about this before IVF#1 and of course he shot it down in a ball of flames. The issue is more about being IF and not having a natural child that can show an increase in OC. The article that was in an earlier post is informative and maybe the best to date but I think the big "C" is a risk for all of us living in modern society. We have a bigger risk with the xenoestrogens we injest by shampoos, hair dyes, plastics, make up than the 20 days of meds from IVF. I have elimated all "bad" things from my environment and eat organic as much as possible.

Don't stress about it. You need to think through why you are doing this, the joy that that baby will bring to your lives one day. That said, I think IVF#2 will be the end for me. Financially, emotionally and for health reasons.

GL!!

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• Options
    I actually was more concerned not getting pregnant which my Ob says puts me at a higher risk of breast cancer which runs in my family. I get what you are saying though. I was concerned at first but a baby was more important right now. I agree with others also, what doesn't cause cancer?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"