Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

NBR....Teachers come in...

hey ladies, my brother is finishing up his Masters in teaching and I want to help him put together his resume/portfolio and just want to get an idea of what a  teacher would submit for a job.  Do you send just a resume or do you send a pdf portfolio? He will be looking for a junior or high school social studies/history/government position. *tia*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR....Teachers come in...

• Options

From my experience, he should just submit his resume. He can bring a portfolio to an interview if he likes.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    imageSarahL77:

From my experience, he should just submit his resume. He can bring a portfolio to an interview if he likes.

This. Maybe also a cover letter expressing his interest, such as "Hello my name is _____ and I have just graduated from _______. I am seeking a teaching position and would love to work for your school system because _______. I look forward to meeting with you.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I used to submit a mini-portfolio of sorts with cover letter, resume, educational philosophy, sample lesson, classroom management plan, sample lesson, parent letter, letters of rec. At one point I'd made a brochure but can't remember all I had in it...I know my philosophy, experience, etc, not sure what else.

It doesn't hurt to add something that makes the resume stand out or gives future employers some extra info before they make interview choices. I don't know where your brother lives but here they get hundreds of applicants for every 1 teaching position so most resumes don't even get looked at. 

ETA: I also had an online portfolio that was essentially a sample teacher website that I'd provide the URL for but who knows if anyone actually looked at it. I had to do it for one of my classes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Submit the resume

and you bring the portfolio in for the interviews.

Don't put too much in the portfolio.  Keep it quality versus quantity!  His best stuff. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options
    imagerosesandpeonies:

Submit the resume

and you bring the portfolio in for the interviews.

Don't put too much in the portfolio.  Keep it quality versus quantity!  His best stuff. 

This. Almost every interview I ever went to, the principal really didn't even have the time to look through portfolios because of the hundreds of applicants. Someone will probably only take a look at it if you are at seriously being considered after the actual interview.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    resume and cover letter.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"