Parenting after a Loss

Sick Baby :-(

All last week my DH had a nasty cold.  Actually, half of the people in MA seemingly had said cold and my DH got it while we were there.  Anyhow, DS started to get the sniffles the day before we left.  Nothing bad, he just sounded a little different to me (nobody else would've noticed it).  In the days since he's been a little more needy, but otherwise fine.

That seemed to have changed last night.  Laid him down to sleep and he woke up within a few mins scared to death.  He'd sounded a little raspy, so I'm assuming he had drainage, got scared he couldn't breathe and freaked the eff out.  Got him back to sleep and laid him in his carseat (not something I do regularly, but I needed something with a better angle and was one handed).  He got 4 hours total of sleep in there (two 2 hour stretches).  From about 3am till 7 we were in the glider.  All he wanted to do was suck and the only thing he'll suck on is me.  Holy hell are my nips raw right now.

Any suggestions on things I could do to make DS feel (and sleep!) better?  It seems to be a drainage issue mostly, with a touch of a stuffy nose starting.  Oh & no, I haven't had it yet.  At this point I'm praying I don't until he's at least on the upswing.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
~All AL'ers welcome~

Re: Sick Baby :-(

• Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon. Poor mommy. I hope your nips recover quickly.

Will he sleep in the swing? A bouncy chair? Have him sit in a swing/ bouncy in a steamy bathroom.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He's in the swing now downstairs with Daddy.  So far no screaming.  We'll see if sleep comes of it, I suppose.  The bouncer I'll probably try later.  I'll keep the bouncer in the steamy bathroom in mind. 

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Aww poor baby! DD has been battling a stuffy nose for about a week, she has no other symptoms and the mucus is white and dry so I don't know if it's even a cold, but she snorts a lot and has trouble breathing, so she has been fussier and also waking every few hours again wanting to eat (or just suck) for hours. I've tried saline drops and the snot sucker bulb with no success. Hope your little guy feels better soon!
  • I'm sorry your DS is feeling icky.  Poor boy.  I don't have any advice on the drainage aside from what you're already doing but I wanted to say that we've had some success using saline spray for congestion.  We went through several days where he was so stuffed up that he would start panicking while breastfeeding when the milk started flowing and he couldn't breathe well.  Taking a break and using the saline spray seemed to help.  Boogies and mucus would make their way down or out within a few minutes of using the spray/drops.  He hated getting them but it helped him sound less terrible for a while.

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Hope he feels better soon. I have put a pillow under the crib mattress to angle it and that helps. Also saline up the nose and the nosefrida.  And a steamy bathroom along with a bath with Johnson's vapor bath.  We ran the shower really hot to steam up the bathroom and then filled the tub. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I would try the saline drops or steam and bulb syringe if you see lots of drainage or boogies.  If he is able to suck and breathe, that is a good sign that he isn't too stopped up.  I hope he feels better soon!
  • Saline drops in the nose, suction out with aspirator; cool mist humidifier at night; steam from the shower a couple times during the day; and vapobath by Johnson's are some of my tried and true remedies.  My secretary suggested vaporub on the feet with socks on.  Tried it once, seemed to help too.

Hope your LO feels better soon.  The first cold is inevitable, unfortunately. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm sorry.  Sick babies are no fun and tug on the heart.  When DD's gotten sick, we've taken her into the shower with us and just played in the water, used the snot sucker and it helped loosen her up.  Besides tylenol, we just had lots of extra cuddles.

((hugs))

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • My sure-thing way to clear Grace's nose is to crank up the shower to high and nurse her in the steamy bathroom till she passes out ( the mix of warm air and full belly always knocks her out cold). Then I'll use the nasal aspiratorto clear her nose... at tht point all the snot is super moist and sucks right out!

Hope he's feeling better soon! 

image??? Baby Jane born sleeping @ 22.5 weeks ??? MY OWN NUTSHELL -- The Blog
  • Awww, poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd also suggest the warm steamy bathroom. GL! Hope he feels better. 
    BFP#1 10/5/09 | Heartbeat 11/1/09 | D&C 11/24/09 (no hb)
    BFP#2 02/18/11 * Beta@15dpo=215 * @18dpo=698 * @20dpo=2337 * @25dpo=10,931 * DS Arrived October 24, 2011
    BFP#3 08/12 | D&C 9/12 (no hb)
    BFP#4 Due May 1, 2014 Stick baby stick!
  • Poor little guy!!  I hope he feels better soon.  I don't have any advice, but I'll be thinking about you guys and hoping that he gets better really quickly. 
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • It's actually his second cold.  He managed to catch his first at just 8 days old.  Apparently I picked it up during my 5 day stay in the hospital and passed it to him (I came down with it 6 days post partum.  Fun times.)

Thankfully he's (so far, anyways) doing pretty well.  Seems like mostly drainage with minimal sniffles so far.  He's tired and sometimes cranky, but other than that and having to watch his positioning for breathing he's doing alright.  Sleeping kind of sucks though.  He's more or less back to his newborn schedule (3ish hrs down, then 3ish more, then sleep is sporadic until dawn).  I was really spoiled during our trip east (STTN every.single.night=AWESOME) and I'm paying for that now.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"