Postpartum Depression

Weird counseling

I have never been diagnosed with depression, but I have suffered from it on and off for the past 10 years.While I was pregnant I was secretly seeing a counselor to try to deal with some of the things I was feeling. I saw the counselor for a while, but no one knew about it( I'm military and I didn't want anyone knowing I was seeking mental services). I eventually stopped seeing them. The reason I stopped was because they weren't really helping me. The techniques they used were strange. Instead of having me talk about my issues, the counselor would ask me to give my issues a name and have me do this weird thing where I chanted the "name" out loud while tapping different points on my face, chest, and ribs. For instance I would chant "work" over and over again while I tapped some points on my face around my eyes, under my nose, under my lips, etc. I gave it a chance, but after a few sessions it seemed stupid to me. It wasn't helping me work through my issues at all, not like I thought it would. It would make me feel relaxed and better, but the issues were still there, and its not like I could stop and tap my face in front of people, at work, wherever. I am thinking about heading back to some kind of therapy because I can feel the cloud coming back. I'm not performing my job well, everything irritates me, I'm always mad at my husband, tired all the time, and feeling like I have NO support and not knowing where to look for it. I'm afraid the service I go to would send me back to the same kind of counselor. Has anyone ever heard of or done any kind of therapy like this? How does tapping your face help depression? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weird counseling

• I've seen three counselors over the years, and none of them did that. They are all different - we saw a marriage counselor once who had a bunch of rules and homework, and said some really crazy things - like that if we weren't satisfied eating the same exact thing for dinner every night, then we were using food for emotional reasons and needed separate counseling for that. Really weird! One was pretty easy to talk to, like a friend who thinks you're great and wants to help you be happy. One was normal and easy to talk to, but I didn't hit it off with her as much. 

Keep trying! You can find someone better.  

• That is odd. I saw two different people. One just kept talking about herself and another one would make me close my eyes and go to my happy place all the time. I did not want to close my eyes I wanted to talk about how my sister died.

I haven't been back to one since but I know I should for my PPD.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I wish I had more details, but my brother saw a therapist for extreme anxiety related to flying. He would also say things and tap different areas of his body. I thought it was very strange and it didn't work for him. Now he takes Xanax.
    E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

• I have heard of this sort of therapy, but never experienced it. The tapping is on pressure points that are supposed to help release the tension your "issue" is causing. It usually takes a fairly long time. And is usually done for people who's "issues" are all in the mind, not really issues if you KWIM.

You will find that the majority of therapists are going to talk you through your concerns, worries, issues and problems. If you have a history of depression, which you indicate you do, I am fairly certain you will see a "normal" therapist.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I actually took a class with a guy who taught that whole tapping thing. I tend to be skeptical, but I understood the premise. It has to do with birth trauma and muscle memory. I think the biggest issue with your therapist is if he or she didn't explain to you wth he was doing!

I would suggest looking for a therapist who practices cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This is teaching you strategies to deal with your anxiety/depressions and manage the symptoms of it. 

PS- here's an article I found on the tapping thing.

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
    2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
    Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagetinshee:

I actually took a class with a guy who taught that whole tapping thing. I tend to be skeptical, but I understood the premise. It has to do with birth trauma and muscle memory. I think the biggest issue with your therapist is if he or she didn't explain to you wth he was doing!

I would suggest looking for a therapist who practices cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This is teaching you strategies to deal with your anxiety/depressions and manage the symptoms of it. 

PS- here's an article I found on the tapping thing.

I agree. I'm a therapist, and I think what you're describing is Thought Field Therapy which uses tapping. It's not something that is widely used or taught. I do use CBT with a lot of my clients. It works exceptionally well for anxiety and depression, although the best results typically come from a combination of talk therapy using CBT and medication. Good luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"