Attachment Parenting

diaper rash? help!

(Ok, this maybe isn't AP related exactly, but I hate having to use chemical medicine for anything, let alone to smear it on my baby's genitals, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.)

I usually use cloth diapers, but we moved overseas and had to use disposables for two weeks. The new disposables started causing diaper rash.  I stopped using them, switched to a different brand, and then went back to the cloth. My baby's rash stayed the same.  I was using just virgin coconut oil on the rash for about a week- rash was mild but didn't clear up.  Then I started using calendula cream, it seemed to fluctuate between mild and moderate.  So then I got a zinc oxide cream called Mommy's Bliss.  The rash  some days looked worse, some days better.  Then yesterday we got Desitin maximum strength as I was starting to get really worried that this was not clearing up.  Now tonight it suddenly looks really bad.  She has no fever, and the rash doesn't actually seem to bother her at all. We are cleaning her with just water and cotton balls. I use 7th generation free and clear detergent on the CDs so I don't think thats the problem.  We try to change her at least every two hours. 

Should I take her to a doctor? I feel horrible about this, that its not getting better. We asked a nurse and she kinda acted like diaper rash is normal, but I don't think a baby should just have a rash all the time.  Before we had to use the disposables she had never had a rash before.

Any advice?  Im a FTM so is there something that I am missing here?  Something else we should be doing? She I take her to a doctor?  (since we just moved we don't have a pediatrician per say for me to call and ask, I would have to just find one to take her to).  

TIA 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: diaper rash? help!

• Sounds like it might be a yeast rash.  I agree that an ongoing diaper rash isn't normal, and I'd take her to a pedi.  Until then can you give her some naked time so she has plenty of time to dry out before applying more cream?
  • our DD ended up with a yeast rash. it lasted forever, and had these little pokadot like areas. She had to go on a steroidal creame to get rid of it. Rx...
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD gets a rash every time I eat dairy.  If it doesn't turn out to be yeast, perhaps you could try eliminating dairy and / or soy and see if that helps.  (Her other symptoms were green / smelly poop, congestion, colic, spitting up often and tummy aches / gas.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"