Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Baby safety nets for crib??

DS turns 9 mo tomorrow (AAAHH!) and yesterday one of those "dreaded moments" happened. DS was napping and I heard a loud thud, I go in and check on him and he's standing in the crib pulling books off his book shelf. I gave him a stuffed giraffe and sat him down in the crib (I still had a few things I had to get done). DS started climbing up again and the giraffe was on the edge of the crib mattress with his legs poking through the slats and DS was leaning over the side of the crib trying to grab the giraffe's legs. Yikes!!

So, of course, we lowered the mattress- it's now as low as it will go, and we moved the crib away from the book shelf. But DS is pretty tall (97th percentile at 6 mo appt, 9 mo appt is in a week) and I worry that he'll soon be able to lean over/get out of his crib even with the mattress as low as it will go. 

So... have any of you used baby safety nets?? If so, are they safe? Do they keep LO in? Do you have any brand recommendations?

Selfishly, I'd love to be able to raise the crib mattress back to where it was- the 2nd-to-lowest setting (the lowest is SO low and it hurts my back)- any chance I could do that if we use a baby safety net? 

TIA for any help or suggestions!! 

Re: Baby safety nets for crib??

• First of all my kids are both off the charts in height.  My older daughter did not climb out until 18 months....

That being said.  Don't get one unless you have to.  

I had to get one because my daughter climbed out the same week my other daughter was born and I was told not to transition then.  She was too young and it would have been too much with the baby.

There have been many recalls on them and some deaths...soooo do your research!  I did tons of research on them before I used them.

I found that the deaths seemed to have happened on the ones that sit on top of the crib instead of encompassing the entire crib.

So for my older daughter's the net encompassed the entire crib...there was nowhere she could stick her head, etc.

another thing I found was that some of the injuries were because something broke on the net and the parents rigged it to work...so if you see it ripping, etc.  then just ditch it.  They aren't cheap but it is worth it for the safety of your child.

Bottom line:  Dont use it unless you have too...bets are you won't for a while.  If you do use one do your research and use one that is around the entire crib.

This is the one that I had:   https://www.amazon.com/Tots-Mind-Convertible-Cribs-White/dp/B004BVJM5S

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • We used "Crib Tent 2"s on the triplets cribs from 18mo until just after they turned 3 and we got big kid beds. Never had a problem, they were life savers for us!
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTripMomma:
    We used "Crib Tent 2"s on the triplets cribs from 18mo until just after they turned 3 and we got big kid beds. Never had a problem, they were life savers for us!

I'll have to find that brand.

• Once he's pulling up to standing you have to keep the mattress at the lowest setting--sorry, it's just not safe any other way.  Make sure you don't leave anything in the crib he could use to climb up, but I would say hold off on the crib tent unless he starts putting his legs over the top rail or tries to climb out.

Maybe a step stool would help you for getting him in and out without hurting your back.

• imagemrszee2b:

Once he's pulling up to standing you have to keep the mattress at the lowest setting--sorry, it's just not safe any other way.  Make sure you don't leave anything in the crib he could use to climb up, but I would say hold off on the crib tent unless he starts putting his legs over the top rail or tries to climb out.

Maybe a step stool would help you for getting him in and out without hurting your back.

This. Keep the crib at the lowest setting, remove the toys, remove the bumper, and move the other furniture away from the crib. You should be good for a few months. I'd only use a crib tent as a last resort, they can be dangerous.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our ped said to drop the mattress the second they could sit up in the crib!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"