May 2012 Moms

Slipped and fell last night :(

Last night I had my first big scare of pregnancy. I was walking to a restaurant in this ski town with my husband's god-brother (DH had dropped us off to go get parking) and I totally wiped out on the ice. I landed hard on my right hip and hand, so I didn't hit my stomach at all, but of course it totally freaked me out.

I know rationally that women fall/get in car accidents/otherwise get shaken up while pregnant and the baby is just fine, but it upset me so much! I started crying when my husband caught up to us and I told him what happened-- I felt like a bad mom for not being more careful. I ended up calling my sister (a doctor), who told me everything was TOTALLY fine and that she's seen a lot of women do much worse during pregnancy and be totally fine. I have been feeling some little kicks, so that is making me feel better as well. :)

I feel pretty bad for DH's god-brother-- he was pretty shaken up by it as well and kept apologizing for not catching me before I went down. He is a total sweetheart, and I told him that of course it is NOT his fault, but I feel so bad for him. He hasn't been around many pregnant women before (he's only 27 and is single), so this was pretty frightening for him.

Lesson learned: walk carefully and don't wear anything but flats when walking in slushy/icy conditions!

Re: Slipped and fell last night :(

• I am so sorry you fell! I know it's really scary. I hope you are feeling OK and not too sore/bruised!!! I fell a few weeks ago right down the stairs (carpetted, which I think was a good thing - though it definitely helped me to slide down lol). It was straight down from the top step to the bottom, on my rear end and back. I was really sore for the following week, but mostly I was just freaking out because of the baby. Everyone told me the same thing, but they let me come in to the office just so I could hear baby's heartbeat. It was a huge relief. I know all signs point to everything is fine, but if you are still feeling the least bit anxious over it, I highly recommend going in for a listen yourself :-) Feel better!!
    --Danielle :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a pretty gnarly bruise on my hip, so I can't really lie on my right side, and a little bruising on my hand where I broke my fall, but other than that I seem to be okay. I have felt a few big kicks today, so I am feeling better about everything, but I will certainly be walking carefully going forward!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeganmgmiller:
    I have a pretty gnarly bruise on my hip, so I can't really lie on my right side, and a little bruising on my hand where I broke my fall, but other than that I seem to be okay. I have felt a few big kicks today, so I am feeling better about everything, but I will certainly be walking carefully going forward!

Oh, well that's good. If you feel the kicks then everything is obviously fine. For me, when I fell (and even now), the movement I feel is still barely consistent so even though everyone was saying it was fine, I needed to hear that heartbeat to ease my mind :-)

--Danielle :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad you are okay falls are awful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"