Parenting after a Loss

You know what I don't get?

My whole family was asking for ideas for LO's Christmas gifts. So, to make it easy, I made an Amazon wishlist of things he needs and would enjoy over the next few months.

My mom got several things off of it, including his new car seat and some fun toys. My ILs (who were the ones that asked!) didn't. They got him nice stuff (they are not the crazy kind of in laws that buy candy for a 2 month old, they know how to shop and buy great things), but not off his wishlist. 

I am really grateful for all gifts, I swear, but why ask me if you are just going to go off your own ideas anyway? Were my suggestions not to your liking? I do love everything he got, so again, that isn't the issue... it's just I feel I wasted my time by trying to make things easier for them. Oh well.

Married 7/19/09
MC 9/8/10
Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: You know what I don't get?

• That would be a tad annoying.

Maybe they looked at the list and found some "better" ideas. (I'm reaching here.) I'm glad everything will be of use to you though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ya when my Mil asked I said he is all set on toys since he doesn't yet play with what he has.....Xmas morning I unwrapped more toys. 
    BFP #1 6/18/10 Saw HB 7/15/10 Missed M/C 8/17/10 @ 12 weeks 2 days- 2 D&C's( 8/20 and 8/26) BFP#2 11/21/10 Nonviable at 5wks, possible ectopic. Methotrexate 12/3/10&12/9/10 BFP#3 3/10/11 Beta@12dpo 39 Beta@14dpo 160! 21 DPO 2439 HB at 7wks 127 EDD 11/17/11
    ITS A BOY!!!! Born 11/13/11 BFP #4: 10/29/12 edd 7/11/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagexleslieraex:

That would be a tad annoying.

Maybe they looked at the list and found some "better" ideas. (I'm reaching here.) I'm glad everything will be of use to you though.

Yeah, probably. They are the kind that won't buy it if they don't like it, even if you want it. Every year, they ask me to see my Christmas list, yet buy things that they want anyway. Always super nice things, like a $300 Lenox nativity scene, but just not that I had on my list. I'm grateful, again, but WHY ask if you are going to go rogue?

(although this year, MIL hit it out of the park with a Burberry jacket from my Pinterest! Squeee!!)

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
  • imagejulesjb:
    Ya when my Mil asked I said he is all set on toys since he doesn't yet play with what he has.....Xmas morning I unwrapped more toys. 

LOL...she probably wanted to get him "fun" stuff. 

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
  • imageRachaelA:

imagekathymarie:

imagejulesjb:
    Ya when my Mil asked I said he is all set on toys since he doesn't yet play with what he has.....Xmas morning I unwrapped more toys. 

Everyone always wants to get kids "fun" stuff. My MIL did that and ignored all the books on Em's wish list. Luckily, my dad's side of the family got us books as well. We have too many toys! And all of them make noise Indifferent For her first birthday, I'm going to fill her wish list with batteryless toys.

Kathy, I never understand why people ask for a list and then don't use it. Its fine not to pick out what you want, but don't have someone spend time making a list and then ignore it!

That's what I'm trying to say. Oh well. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, just a general musing. 

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
  • M ILs, who are about 20 years younger than my parents who do know how to work Amazon, would have never understood the concept of an Amazon wish list. Are yours just not tech savvy? Glad you got good stuff either way! I hate to sound ungrateful but I was a little surprised Christmas morning at the ILs. They got their kids (DH's half brothers-20 and 9, and sister-17) mountains of expensive presents, iPhones, DVD players, new clothes, furniture, they had to have spent thousands. Meanwhile DD got 5 outfits. Again anything is nice and she is too little to notice the discrepancy but it hurt my feelings for her. No toys or anything, they didn't even fill a stocking for her and the other kids got 3 stocking each! The most annoying part to me is that a few years back they decided we should just get gifts for "the kids" yet here we are still obligated to buy stuff for DH's 20 year old brother, he gets us nothing nor does he buy anything for DD. Okay sorry to turn your thread into a vent about my ILs!
  • imageRachaelA:

imagekathymarie:

imagejulesjb:

Everyone always wants to get kids "fun" stuff. My MIL did that and ignored all the books on Em's wish list. Luckily, my dad's side of the family got us books as well. We have too many toys! And all of them make noise Indifferent For her first birthday, I'm going to fill her wish list with batteryless toys.

Kathy, I never understand why people ask for a list and then don't use it. Its fine not to pick out what you want, but don't have someone spend time making a list and then ignore it!

Story of my Christmas. DH got billions and billions of toys. And only one doesn't require batteries. ONE.

Funny thing is the noiseless toy (stacking cups) is his absolute favorite.He could care less about the giant annoying ball popping dinosaur or the damn cat that runs around the living room begging you to stomp on it mercilessly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"