Northern California Babies

Thrush - treat with Nystatin even if baby is asymptomatic?

Yay, I have thrush!  Grr..

It is presenting itself just in severe pain in just one of my nipples, and I've been applying coconut oil like crazy for about 8 days, but I'm now scared it's affecting my supply because LO had to have a 4 oz freezer stash bottle the other night and my body couldn't even tell it missed a feeding.  I thought it was just a growth spurt or something and was just gonna keep trying coconut oil since it was just painful for me and no symptoms in him, but now I'm pretty freaked out (I had no idea thrush could affect supply :( )...

So anyway, called Kaiser and got the advice to use the anti-fungal cream and they gave me an Rx for Nystatin.  LO is (as of yet) exhibiting no symptoms at all.

The Kaiser RN seemed to say I could treat him or just treat myself for awhile to see if it's really necessary to treat him...but in the end, she still sent in the Rx.  I'll definitely be picking up the Rx (since I have about $200 in flex money to spend TODAY anyway...and that's a lot more bandaids than I need, heh), but should I treat myself only first and see if that kills it all?  Or treat him right away just as a precaution?

TIA for any advice :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Thrush - treat with Nystatin even if baby is asymptomatic?

• Also, we CD...with no rash symptoms, is it okay to continue CDing?  Or should I switch to disposables until I'm clear of the thrush?  We wash the CD's in our washers sanitary cycle.

TIA again. 

• From what I was told by a KP advice nurse and one of their lactation consultants when I thought I had it in the past, is that I should treat my LO too since even though she doesn't have any symptoms, we could pass it back and forth.  Not sure how helpful that is and sorry you are dealing with thrush :(
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would treat him as well. And for safe measure with the CDs since the weather is nice, sun them after you wash them, but I think if his diaper area looks OK you should be OK.

Make sure you only wear bras,tanks, etc ONCE and wash in HOT water and sun them too if you can. And keep using cream at least one day longer than your symptoms present themselves. 

And if it persists, I recommend taking the antifungal oral meds, after a month it was the only thing that worked for us.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Oh, and make sure to boil/sanitize all pump parts between each use!
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Yep, what ladipale said!  Exactly!

Sucks, it is painful I know!  Boooo on thrush!

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No advice but boo on trush. I hope you feel better soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the advice (and sympathetic words).  I hope to nix this asap.  Super painful.  

I'm kinda nervous about hot water washing my nursing bras and tanks...isn't that silly?  Ah well, we're going for it anyway.

Thanks again everyone :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"