3rd Trimester

how do you know if water breaks?

I know it's not always a sudden burst of water soaking your pants.  I've had an increase in discharge lately though...the same as before just a bit more than usual. and still clear/white in color.  How will I know if my water breaks?  Do you feel anything different?  Will my belly get smaller as all the fluid gets out...?  starting to wonder.... 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: how do you know if water breaks?

• If you just have a leak, it may be hard to tell.  Take a warm shower, put on clean dry undies and a pad.  Lay down for a bit, and if you feel a little gush when you stand up it may be your water.  With DD my water broke like a water balloon in my pants, and when I sat on the toilet, it just kept coming and I couldn't stop it like you can stop pee, so there was no question. 

You can always call your Dr, or go into L&D triage and they'll be able to tell you for sure. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 'Water' is a different color and texture than regular cervical mucus, it's very thin and clear. It is possible to have a very slow leak, but not so likely that a 'bit more than usual' is strange- more likely that is your mucus plug. Since you're 40 weeks though you're probably going to the docs a lot, I say have them test you next time you go in, it's just a litmus type- test
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You shouldn't be confused when it breaks... It isn't like discharge, it's watery, and it'll either pour out (like in the movies), or trickle out (my own experience). It will sort of seem like you're peeing your pants, but you know you're not peeing. So, you'll know! 

Also - your belly doesn't start getting smaller :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine trickled down my leg.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine was like a giant gush of water. kindda like in the movie coneheads. lol. my sister however said it was a trickle. :) 
  • Mine trickled for a few hours before it gushed out. It kinda felt like I was peeing myself only it had a distinct smell to it- kinda smelled like semen actually. It's not like discharge, it's water (amniotic fluid is, quite literally, the baby's urine- they constantly are swallowing it and peeing it back out)
  • I had just went to the bathroom, stood up to get into the bathtub and a small gush came out.  I sat back down and waited.  Another small gush.  I grabbed a LARGE pad and it continued to give small gushes all the way to the hospital. 
    2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • the liquid texture is different, amniotic fluid is like water and not "sticky/mucousy" like discharge..i could tell the difference when my water broke.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So in reading this I'm confused; my discharge all pregnancy has been watery and not mucousy, maybe th OP has had similar watery discharge? I will take the "stand up gush" test as my way of knowing. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"