Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone else have LO's that wake out of habit? How to fix??

My LO is 11.5 weeks old.  Starting at about 8 weeks, we were getting about 5-6 hours out of the first stretch of sleep at night.  The last week, she has been only sleeping 3 the first stretch and then she is up every 1.5 hours the rest of the night!!  She isn't hungry, I think she is just waking out of habit.  I can usually give her the pacifier and she goes back to sleep within 10 or 15 minutes.  How do I break this?  Any ideas?
TTC Since 2/09... BFP 12/26/09 - Missed miscarriage (6 weeks), D&C 1/28/10, BFP 4/23/10 - Miscarriage (18 wks 4 days) due to Turner's Syndrome, Delivered Lyla Ann on 7/29/10, BFP 12/10/10 - Natural miscarriage (5 weeks 6 days) 12/23/10, BFP 2/2/11 - EDD: 10/15/11 - Stick baby stick!!

Re: Anyone else have LO's that wake out of habit? How to fix??

• Have you heard of the book "Wonder Weeks"? 

I just got it from DH for Christmas, and my LO just went through what you are describing, only she did it at 7 weeks. There are certain weeks/timeframes when baby is going to take a mental leap, (like when she has a growth spurt and she needs to eat more), and things are changing a lot for her senses so the world seems scary and unfamiliar. They seem to wake up from nothing and then go back to sleep. They may also spend more time crying. I'm pretty sure there is another leap at 12 weeks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, at 11.5 weeks it is not out of habit. She's waking for a reason. She could be hungry (maybe not starving, but just enough to keep her from really settling into a deep sleep), having gas, growing, etc. Sleep patterns change constantly over the course of the first year so just because they have a few weeks of a certain # of hours, you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think that's the new normal. Most babies have sleep regressions in the 4-6 month range so this probably isn't the first sleep issue you'll see. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"